Before Being Painted
- DecoArt Americana Acrylics: Boysenberry Pink, Burnt Orange, Cranberry Wine, Evergreen, Foliage Green, Grape Juice, Light Buttermilk, Mustard Seed, Purple Cow, Snow (Titanium) White
- Brushes: Royal & Langnickel Aqualon: Script Liner, Series R2585, #1; Filbert, Series 2170, #8, #12; Shader, Series R2150, #4, #8, #12; Glaze Wash, Series R2700, 1”
- Stencil brush: 1/4”, 1/2”
- Rust-Oleum Spray Primer Rust Inhibitor, White
- DecoArt DuraClear Varnish, Satin
- Old metal hamper
- Half baskets, two
- Stencils of choice: 4” letters; vine
- Stencil spray adhesive
- Optional: Circle template, 2-1/4”
Pattern - Bloom!
- 1. Use 250-300 grit sandpaper to remove as much rust as possible. Wipe clean. Follow manufacturer's directions to spray with several coats primer.
- 2. Use slightly damp seawool sponge to pick up small amount of Lt. Buttermilk and Foliage Green; pat on palette to lightly blend then pat off excess. Sponge entire surface rotating hand while sponging to create different patterns.
- 3. Apply stencil adhesive to back of vine stencil; let dry. Press stencil firmly onto surface; use 1/4" stencil brush and Lt. Buttermilk to pounce over open areas of stencil. Continue stenciling as desired on sides and lid in random pattern.
- 4. Print out patterns. Using photo as guide, randomly transfer flowers onto surface lengthening stems as needed. (Note: Flowers shown are all same patterns just placed at different heights and angels.)
- Purple Flowers
- 1. Load #12 filbert with Purple Cow then pick up small amount of Grape Juice on tip; place bristles flat on surface next to flower center and pull out twisting brush to create pointed tip.
- Pink Flowers
- 1. Load #12 filbert with Boysenberry Pink; place bristles flat at outer edge of petal, push down to create a large stroke then pull towards flower center. Load same brush with Cranberry Wine; lay flat next to flower center and pull out creating shadow for each petal. Use #8 filbert and load brush with Snow White and Boysenberry Pink; lay bristles at outer edge of petal and pull in small strokes to create ruffle and allowing various amounts of white and pink to show through.
- 1. Use #8 filbert and Lt. Buttermilk to first stroke petals from outside edge pulling in then highlight tips Snow White.
- 1. Base with mix of Foliage Green + tch. of Evergreen; use #12 filbert to shade Evergreen along base and highlight with mix of Foliage Green + tch. of Snow White and Mustard Seed. Line center veins and stems Evergreen.
- Flower Centers
- 1. Base Mustard Seed. (Optional: Use circle template to stencil centers.) Use #12 filbert to float Burnt Orange along outer edges. Use script liner and mix of Lt. Buttermilk + tch. of Mustard Seed to paint swirls.
- Wording and Decorative Bands
- 1. Stencil "Bloom" with mix of Foliage Green + tch. of Evergreen. Use same mix to paint band areas on hamper as desired. Use script liner and Lt. Buttermilk to outline letters and to accent bands.
- 1. Use #12 filbert to base rims and handles Lt. Buttermilk. Use same brush to base Foliage Green vertical stripes spacing 2" apart. Use Purple Cow to line each side of green stripes. Line between green stripes with mix of Boysenberry Pink + tch. of Snow White.
- 1. Use black permanent fine-line marker to outline and add detailing. Use glaze wash brush to apply several varnish coats.