Make your Valentine feel extra special when you send your message of love in a hand-painted heart-shaped box filled with sweet treats.
- Paper-maché heart box (6”) found at your local craft store
- DecoArt Americana Acrylics: Antique Rose, Black Plum, Burnt Umber, Celery Green, Fawn, Light Buttermilk, Light Mocha, Poodleskirt Pink, Sable Brown, Spice Pink, Tuscan Red
- Optional: Small heart shape stencils
- Brushes: FM Dynasty: Black Gold, Series 206: Shader, #2, #6, #14, #20; Flat Wash, 3/4”; Script Liner, #20/0, #10/0; Decorator Collection: Mini Mop, Series 400; Dry Brush, Series 200, #8.
- DecoArt DuraClear Varnish, Matte
- Brown technical pen
- newspaper (to cover work surface)
Pattern - Be Mine
- Artist's Tip
- 1. Always use appropriate size brush to basecoat; e.g. use flat wash brush for main basecoating and #6 shader for words. Apply several thin coats as opposed to one thick coat allowing paint to dry between coats. Sand lightly between coats for smooth surface. All dry brushing is done using decorator dry brush. Use #14 shader or flat wash brush to do most floating; use mop brush to soften floats, gently pouncing over water's edge. Use script liners for line work; thin paint to inky consistency, fully load brush, then blot tip.
- 1. Sealing is not necessary, but okay if desired. Base top of lid Sable Brown, lid sides Burnt Umber, and bottom of heart box Lt. Mocha.
- 2. Print out pattern; transfer basic details onto lid.
- 1. Shade Burnt Umber shadow behind left side of each letter; use same color but much wider shader to float all around lid edges. Randomly dry brush lid Lt. Mocha. For ribbon on lid sides, use #6 flat and Antique Rose to paint approximately 3/4" long stripes spacing approximately 1/2" apart. Shade ribbon ends Black Plum and add back-to-back Lt. Mocha highlights in centers. Use brown pen to line ends.
- 1. Base Spice Pink. Add vertical and horizontal Poodleskirt Pink pinstripes. Where pinstripes intersect add small Burnt Umber checks using photo as guide. Between pinstripes add Antique Rose stitch lines. Float Antique Rose along left side of each letter. Outline letters and lightly draw "Mine" backdrop word with brown pen; add stitch lines to edges of backdrop word.
- 1. Use liner to stroke Burnt Umber vines. Paint hearts Tuscan Red or use stencil to randomly stencil hearts; add Lt. Buttermilk highlight strokes. Use #2 shader and Celery Green to stroke little leaves. Use stylus to add random Lt. Buttermilk dots to vine.
- Heart Bottom
- 1. Use #20 shader to randomly stroke Poodleskirt Pink checks, #14 shader for Sable Brown checks, and #6 shader for Lt. Buttermilk checks. Using appropriate size shader, shade along left edges as follows: Antique Rose for pink, Burnt Umber for brown, and Fawn for buttermilk.
- 1. Apply two to three varnish coats; let dry. Fill with yummy or fun treats!