Barn Board Sam
A repurposed barn board comes to life in a primitive Uncle Sam! Simple painting and construction is all it takes to create this great outdoor design.
Barn Board Sam
- Barn board or wooden surface, 1” thick, 5-1/2”x36”
- Plywood, 1/4” thick, 7”x11”
- Rusty wire
- Wooden stars: 3/4”, four; 1-1/4”, two
- Power jig saw with narrow blade
- Drill with small bit
- Paintbrushes: flat, 3/4”, 1/2”; round, #2
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic Paints: Rookwood Red, Lamp Black, Warm White, Deep Midnight Blue, Flesh Tone
- DecoArt: Oak Gel Stain, Multi-Purpose Sealer
- Wood glue
- pencil, stylus, transfer paper, sponge brush, old rag, ruler, sandpaper, newspaper (to cover work surface), double-sided tape
Pattern - Barn Board Sam
- 1. Size is 5-1/2"x36"
- Uncle Sam
- 1. Sand rough edges of barn board. Apply multi-purpose sealer. Let dry; sand again.
- 2. Print out patterns onto copy paper. Transfer mustache and hat band onto plywood; cut out using jig saw. Transfer main/body pattern onto barn board.
- 3. On covered work surface, paint stripes on hat and trousers Rookwood Red using 3/4" flat. Let dry.
- 4. Paint mustache, beard, stripes on hat and trousers, and stars Warm White using 3/4" flat. Let dry.
- 5. Paint coat and hat band Deep Midnight Blue using 3/4" flat. Let dry. Repeat painting until opaque. Let dry.
- 6. Paint face Flesh Tone using 1/2" flat. Paint eyes Lamp Black using round. Let dry.
- 7. Adhere 3/4" stars on hat band and 1-1/4" stars (buttons) on coat using wood glue. Let dry thoroughly.
- 8. Apply Oak Gel Stain on all areas using sponge brush. Let sit several minutes; wipe off stain using old rag. Repeat if necessary.
- 9. To hang, drill holes at both corners of hat; insert wire and curl ends.
- 1. Apply double-sided tape onto back of stars and press on newspaper to aid in painting sides.