Has a catchy tune ever inspired you to paint? Carolyn Bacon took it one step further by painting her patriotic inspiration on the actual sheet music itself.
- Patriotic sheet music
- Plaid FolkArt Artist Pigment: Night Sky, Titanium White, Red Light, Pure Black, True Burgundy, Yellow Light, Van Dyke Brown, Yellow Ochre, Asphaltum, Burnt Umber, Blue Thunder
- Scharff Brushes, Inc. Paintbrushes: Angler, series 155, 1/8” 1/4”; Short Shader, series 130, #2, #4, #8; Liner, series 455, #0
- Plaid FolkArt: Blending Gel, Glazing Medium, Clear Acrylic Spray Sealer
- Craft mounting board
- pencil, paper towel, tracing paper, newspaper (to cover work surface)
Pattern - Americana
- 1. Attach sheet music to craft mounting board. Cover work surface. Spray with Clear Acrylic Sealer three times; let dry between coats. Print out pattern. When sheet music is dry, trace background flag pattern lightly.
- 2. Lightly paint red stripes Red Light mixed with Glazing Medium. Do not paint white stripes. Let dry. Spray again with sealer. Trace pattern lightly.
- Painting Notes
- 1. Use large shader for basecoating larger areas. Blend and shade with the smaller shaders or with angler brushes. Use liner for detail and line work.
- 2. Since Blending Gel extends drying time you can shade, blend, pat blend, and make highlight strokes and reflections. You can also achieve a transparent look. Do not mix gel with paint. Pick up Blending Gel on your brush, blot on a paper towel. Pick up color and paint a section at a time.
- 3. Highlighting and shading are blended in.
- Capitol Building
- 1. Basecoat Pure Black. Use liner brush to place highlights with Titanium White. See photo for location. Place thin shadow under building using Glazing Medium.
- Statue of Liberty
- 1. Basecoat Pure Black. Use liner brush to place Titanium White highlights. Place shadow underneath using Glazing Medium.
- 1. Drumhead: Mix Titanium White + Burnt Umber, basecoat entire area. Shade corners with Asphaltum. Reinforce dark shading with Burnt Umber.
- 2. Top Band: front and back: Basecoat True Burgundy. Use Van Dyke Brown to darken back band in the corners and outside edges of front band. Lighten center front with Red Light. Reinforce light area with Red Light + Yellow Light. Highlight front band Titanium White. With a liner, use Red Light on edge of rim.
- 3. Drum Sticks: Basecoat Yellow Ochre. Use Asphaltum to streak. Place Titanium White highlight on head. Made a shadow on drumhead and band with Asphaltum.
- 4. Drum Side: Basecoat Night Sky. Darken under rim and outside edges with Night Sky + Blue Thunder. Lighten center of area with mix of Titanium White + Night Sky. Blend into dark sides. Reinforce the light several times, making mixture lighter each time. For trim, make squiggle line with light blue mix. Paint "1776" Pure Black.
- 5. Wires: Base Yellow Ochre. Highlight Titanium White in the top where it crosses over the band. Use Titanium White to highlight Yellow Ochre circles. Paint holes in band Pure Black.
- 6. Bottom Band: Paint same as top band, darkening behind the firecrackers and horn.
- 1. Basecoat top circle with mix of Titanium White + Burnt Umber. Lighten rim with Titanium White. Paint wick Pure Black. For white stripes, base Titanium White, then darken sides of each stripe Night Sky. Basecoat red stripes Red Light, darken with True Burgundy, and lighten center Yellow Light. Use Asphaltum for shadows underneath.
- 1. Basecoat Yellow Ochre. Use Asphaltum for dark shading inside the bell end, under rim, lower part of curve, and where horn overlaps itself. Blend Yellow Light into curve. Use Titanium White for highlights. Use Asphaltum for shadows underneath.
- 1. When completely dry, spray with sealer.