Keepsake Cake Serving Set
Cutting the cake at your wedding is a popular time-honored tradition. Create this Keepsake Cake Serving Set to add a tone of elegance and flair to this special moment.
- Metal cake knife and server set
- Clear glass plate, 6-7/8” diameter
- Pebeo Porcelaine 150 Oven-Bake Enamel Paints: Parma, Ivory, Citrine, Opaline Green, Malachite
- White sheer ribbon, 7/8”-wide, 1/2 yd. (optional)
- Paintbrushes: flat shader, #4; liner; filbert, #4 or #6
- Rubbing alcohol
- Oven and oven thermometer
- newspaper (to cover work surface)
- 1. Sizes include: knife, 12" long; server, 9-3/4" long; plate, 6-7/8" diameter.
- 1. Wash knife, server, and plate in warm, soapy water. Dry thoroughly.
- 2. Wipe surfaces to be painted with rubbing alcohol. Let dry. (Note: Practice techniques on paper before beginning.)
- Knife & Server Set
- 1. To paint flowers on knife and server, dip one tip of flat shader brush in Parma and other tip in Ivory. With Ivory to outside, stand brush on edge, apply pressure, and make an "m" motion. Bring brush back up on edge and lift. Full flowers have four petals; vary flowers with one, two, or three petals as desired. Use tip of liner to dot centers Citrine and to paint Parma, Ivory, and Citrine bands around top of handles.
- 2. For leaves and vine, pull main vine with liner dipped in Opaline Green. Dip one tip of filbert in Opaline Green and other tip in Malachite. With Opaline Green to top, stand brush on edge, apply pressure, and quickly turn, pull, and lift brush to left or right depending on desired direction of leaf. Use liner and Opaline Green to connect leaves to main vine and add curly tendrils.
- Cake Plate
- 1. For cake plate, turn plate over to paint on back side of plate. Paint flowers in same way as knife and server, but paint centers first so they will show from front of plate. Full flowers have five petals; partial flowers have three petals.
- 2. Paint vines and leaves in same way as knife and server. For border, use flat shader to paint three Parma lines as shown at each clock hour position. Add three horizontal Ivory dots along rim between purple lines.
- 1. To set paint, place painted items directly on middle rack of cool oven. Set oven to 300°; use oven thermometer to monitor temperature. (Note: Paint will brown if oven is too hot.) Once temperature is reached, bake pieces for 35 minutes. Turn off oven, open door, and let pieces cool gradually. Once cool, remove pieces from oven. Pieces are now food-and dishwasher-safe.
- 2. If desired, tie ribbon bow around server handle.
- 1. Paint is not permanent until baked. If unhappy with design, wash off and start again.