Rejuvenated Tray Table
Rejuvenated Tray Table
- Vintage tray table
- Natural hemp
- Generation Green paints/finishes (Earth Safe Finishes): Low VOC Perfect Paint Color: Night Sky Blue; Low VOC Shimmer Translucent Color: Glitter; No-VOC Shimmer Opaque Color: Silver; Sapphire (optional); No-VOC Varnish Satin
- Premo! Sculpey Oven-Bake Polymer Clay (Polyform Products): colors of choice; Glow-in-the Dark
- Easy Cast Clear Casting Epoxy (Environmental Technology)
- Sponge brush and paint brushes
- Clay-dedicated pasta machine
- Sheet of glass
- Small cutters: square; circle; triangle
- Craft knife
- Optional: Alphabet stencils
- 1. Clean all surfaces thoroughly to remove dust, dirt and grease. Let dry.
- 2. Paint all surfaces Night Blue Sky, letting dry between coats.
- 3. Use finger or sponge brush to apply Glitter paint where desired, letting dry between coats. Apply extra glitter to "night sky" areas.
- 4. Apply Silver paint to tray edges. Use silver to stencil lettering if desired. For subtle glow, apply Sapphire to legs if desired.
- 5. Apply varnish to all painted areas except tray surface.
- 6. Find pattern pieces for buildings by using old envelopes, magazines, etc. (Note: To keep patterns for future use, cover them with clear contact paper.)
- 7. Follow manufacturer's instructions to condition clay. Flatten and roll each color separately through pasta machine from setting #1 through #5. Place clay sheets onto work surface and cut out patterns. Place each building and roof onto glass sheet, pressing out any air bubbles. (Note: If desired, press texture sheets into clay buildings.)
- 8. Condition Glow-in-the-Dark clay and roll through pasta machine in same way as Step 7. To add windows, use small cutter to remove bits of clay from buildings and replace with same shape/size of Glow-in-the-Dark Clay. Gently press windows in place.
- 9. Place glass sheet in 275°F oven and bake for 15-20 minutes. Let cool in oven. Slide craft knife under each building to loosen from glass sheet. Apply glue to back of each piece all the way to edges. Press each piece firmly onto table/tray top.
- 10. For angel, choose rubber stamp image, copyright-free design from Internet, or draw your own. Enlarge or reduce image as needed. Cut individual pattern pieces (hair, face, dress, etc.) from variety of clay and piece angel together on glass sheet. Follow same procedure from Step 9 to bake, cool and glue angel to table.
- 11. Follow manufacturer's instructions to mix Clear Cast Resin. Let cure 24 to 72 hours. Apply second coat if needed. (Note: Do not touch while resin cures.)