Outdoor Country Pumpkin
This rustic design is easy to paint and requires only a piece of scrap wood and some basic hardware tools. Create several to display on your front porch or along your fence for a pumpkin patch that will survive well into the late autumn days.
- Pine board, 1” thick: 9”x21”, scrap
- Rusty wire, 20” length
- Upholstery webbing or burlap strip, 1-1/2”-wide, 36” length
- Royal & Langnickel Paintbrushes: Series R2595 Liner 10/0, Series R2160 Angular Shader 1/2”, Series SG700 Flat 3/4”, Series 2250 Round #2
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic Paints: Antique Gold, Burnt Umber, Lamp Black, Georgia Clay, Graphite, Napa Red
- DecoArt Duraclear Matte Sealer
- Saw, drill with 1/8” bit, heavy-duty staple gun and staples
- Wood glue
- sandpaper, soft cloth, stylus, tracing paper, pencil, paper plate (for palette), container of water, newspaper (to cover work surface)
Pattern - Outdoor Country Pumpkin
- 1. Pumpkin is 6-7/8"x19-5/8".
- Outdoor Country Pumpkin
- 1. Print out patterns onto paper. Copy patterns onto tracing paper.
- 2. Trace pumpkin pattern onto pine board. Trace small star onto scrap piece of wood. Cut out pumpkin and small star using saw. Sand rough edges. Seal entire surface. Sand again and wipe dust with soft cloth.
- 3. Basecoat entire pumpkin Georgia Clay using flat. Basecoat small star Lamp Black. Let dry.
- 4. Transfer large star onto pumpkin, allowing left side of star to overlap edge. Basecoat star Antique Gold using angular shader. Let dry. Apply second coat. Let dry. Shade star Graphite. Let dry.
- 5. Outline star and accent lines Lamp Black using liner. Let dry. Adhere small black star to center of large star using wood glue. Let set.
- 6. Paint stem Burnt Umber using shader. Let dry.
- 7. Sand paint on edges of board to achieve weathered look. Wipe dust with soft cloth. Apply two coats of sealer. Let dry between applying coats.
- 8. Drill small hole on center of stem. Attach rusty wire for hanging.
- 9. Position upholstery webbing or burlap strip flat on work surface. Paint ticking marks down length of strip Napa Red using round. Let dry. Wrap strip around stem and secure ends on back and front using staple gun.
- 1. Add a stenciled "welcome" greeting for a great fall door piece.