Wooden Nativity Ornament
A simple Nativity is the perfect ornament gift to help reflect on the true meaning of Christmas!
Wooden Nativity Ornament
- Flat wooden items: small circle; three medium circles; two large circles; large oval; two XXL ovals; XXL triangle; XL star; two mini craft sticks; two craft sticks; five jumbo craft sticks
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic Paints: Lemon Yellow, Lamp Black, Sable Brown, Milk Chocolate, Mocha, Orchid, Olive Green, Baby Blue, True Red, White Wash
- DecoArt Dazzing Metallic Emperor's Gold Paint
- Hemp cord, 10” length
- Raffia, small amount
- Permanent markers: black dual-tip (fine and bullet); brown fine-tip
- Thick craft glue
- Drill with 3/32” bit
- scissors, ruler, paintbrush, small stencil brush, paper plate (for palette)
- 1. Adult supervision is needed when using a drill.
- 1. Drill hole in one point of star. For stable, adhere jumbo craft sticks together side-by-side with ends even; adhere regular craft sticks to back at an angle for support. Let dry. Paint star Lemon Yellow, stable Milk Chocolate, triangle (stable top) Sable Brown, mini craft sticks (roof) Lamp Black, small and two medium circles (faces) Mocha, large oval (blanket) Baby Blue, one XXL oval (Mary's robe) Orchid, remaining XXL oval (Joseph's robe) Olive Green, remaining medium circle and large circles (halos) Emperor's Gold. See photo. Drybrush cheeks on each face True Red; add White Wash highlight dots. (Note: To drybrush, dip stencil brush into paint, stroke on paper towel until almost dry, and brush surface in a circular motion.)
- 2. Refer to photo to add accent lines. Use bullet tip of black marker to dot eyes and brown marker to draw hair. (Note: Draw longer hair on sides of face for Mary.) Use fine tip of black marker to outline star, stable top, stable, halos, blankets, and robes; draw star rays, halo rays, blanket, and robe lines as shown.
- 3. To assemble the ornament, refer to photo. For Jesus, adhere small face to one end of blanket and medium halo to back. Adhere medium faces to front of one end of Orchid robe (Mary) and Olive Green robe (Joseph); adhere halos to back. Adhere Mary and Joseph to stable, 3/4" from bottom and 1/4" apart. Adhere Jesus to Mary as shown. Adhere stable top to stable, roof pieces to top and at each side of stable top, and star to center top of roof. (Note: Drilled hole of star should be at center top.)
- 4. Cut several strands of raffia into 1" lengths; adhere to bottom of stable. For hanger, thread hemp cord through star hole and knot ends together.