Pattern - Light Up Your Life
- Artist's Tips
- 1. Use brush that best fits area and that are most comfortable for you. I normally use flats to basecoat, angulars to shade and highlight, and liner for detailing.
- 1. For candle wraps, cut three 2"x8-1/2" rectangles from canvas. Base front of each with two coats Buttermilk. Basecoat backs of each with two coats in following colors: Deep Burgundy, Plantation Pine, and Royal Purple. For Plantation Pine wrap only, use damp sea sponge to sponge Honey Brown over Buttermilk background. Lightly draw a 1/4" border along each edge of candle wrap fronts; base borders with same color as back of wraps.
- 2. Print out patterns; transfer basic pattern lines onto front of wraps repeating pattern as needed to cover length of wrap. (Transfer details as needed.)
- 3. Sand "candle" plate; wipe dust. Apply one coat sealer to front and back of plate. Sand again lightly; wipe dust. Apply two coats Deep Burgundy to back of plate. Let dry. Basecoat front of plate with one good coat of Glorious Gold, let dry, then apply one good coat crackle medium. Let dry overnight. Apply Deep Burgundy over crackle medium with large brush; do not go back over paint if crackles have started to form. Let dry thoroughly. Use 3/4" angular shader to shade Black Plum along inside and outside edge of rim, and along outside edge of center against rim.
- Painting Instructions
- 1. Refer to Painting Step Chart.
- Candle Wraps
- 1. Rosebud Wrap: Shade Honey Brown on Buttermilk background along edges of Deep Burgundy borders. Base rosebuds Blush Flesh. Use Hauser Med. Green to base stems and leaves. Shade Deep Burgundy along base of rosebuds. Shade Plantation Pine along base of leaves and tint a few Green Mist. Use Lt. Buttermilk to paint swirl design on rosebuds then dot centers. Use marker to loosely outline all elements.
- 2. Daisy Wrap: Shade Honey Brown on sponged background along edges of Plantation Pine borders. Use #2 liner and Lt. Buttermilk to stroke daisy petals. Use Hauser Med. Green to base stems and leaves. Base daisy centers Cadmium Yellow; shade Deep Burgundy along bottom edge and dot top of centers Lt. Buttermilk. Use Neutral Grey to shade petals around centers. Shade Plantation Pine along base of leaves and tint a few Green Mist. Highlight dot centers Lt. Buttermilk. Use marker to loosely outline all elements; add pollen dots around base of centers.
- 3. Lavender Wrap: Shade Honey Brown on Buttermilk background along edges of Royal Purple borders. Base stems and leaves Hauser Med. Green; paint a few leaves Green Mist. Use #2 liner and Royal Purple to stroke petals; stroke some with Wild Orchid. Mix a touch of Buttermilk into Wild Orchid and add a few brighter petals. Add a Lt. Buttermilk highlight dot on a few petals. Use marker to loosely outline all elements.
- 1. Use 10/0 liner and Glorious Gold to line inside edge of each border. Use thinned Glorious Gold to wash over borders and back of wraps. Dry.
- 2. Spray wraps, and plate on all sides, with three coats sealer.
- 3. To assemble wraps, punch a tiny hole in center of short ends of borders, 5/8" from top and bottom. Wrap wraps around candle jar and fold left edge over right aligning holes. Insert 1-1/2" stick pin or hat pin through top hole and out bottom hole. Glue Swarovski crystal to top of pin if desired; glue crystals to plate rim spacing 3" apart.
- 1. Combine all three florals on one wrap for one large candle wrap.