Pattern - Il Trio Italiano Vegetable Stand - Eggplant
Pattern - Il Trio Italiano Vegetable Stand - Artichoke
Pattern - Il Trio Italiano Vegetable Stand - Tomato
- 1. (Note: Use only Americana Acrylics for preparation steps.) Sand surface with fine sandpaper; wipe dust. Apply multi-purpose sealer; let dry. Use wash of Lamp Black + water (1:1) to base handle, stand base, side supports, back supports, wooden plugs, backside and cut edges of stand's three plates. Lightly sand each area in direction of wood grain for worn look; wipe dust. Mix a glaze of Raw Sienna + Extender (1:1) and apply over black basecoated areas; wipe back immediately and soften with mop brush. (Note: This glaze will lightly color sanded areas and give black areas an antique appearance.) Apply one coat Glazing Medium over painted areas.
- 2. Use mix of Lt. Parchment + Yellow Ochre (1:1) to base top of plates. Apply Extender over painted plates. Use glaze/wash brush to apply glaze mix of Raw Sienna + Extender (1:1) on plates; while wet, crumple a piece of plastic wrap into a ball, open up, then lay slightly crumpled wrap on top of wet glaze. Gently press plastic wrap onto surface; carefully remove plastic. Crumple soft T-shirt rag and lightly roll over wet glaze. Carefully sprinkle wet glazed surface with water. (Note: Water will repel glaze and create small light spots; if spots become too large, blot softly with mop brush.) Lightly spatter wet surface with thinned Asphaltum. Allow surface to dry overnight. Apply Glazing Medium over top of plates.
- 3. Print out patterns; transfer basic pattern lines. (Transfer details as needed.)
- Painting Instructions
- 1. Note: Use only Traditions Artist Acrylics for painting steps.
- Artist's Tips
- 1. Mix color mixtures as indicated by ratios using palette knife. Basecoat areas using flat and filbert brushes appropriate for size of area. Basecoats can be somewhat transparent allowing mottled background to show through. When dry, reapply details and apply Extender. Use angular brushes and filberts to apply shading and highlights depending on their locations. Use mop brush to soften areas. Use Glazing Medium to protect dried areas you wish to continue painting on later (barrier coat). Apply up to three Glazing Medium coats to an area in a 24 hour period allowing to dry thoroughly before applying Extender & Blending Medium.
- 1. Mix A = Raw Sienna + Carbon Black + Phthalo Blue-Green (3:1:tch)
- 2. Mix B = Raw Sienna + Titanium White + Hansa Yellow + Carbon Black + Phthalo Blue-Green (3:2:2:1:tch)
- Shadow Leaves
- 1. Apply Extender in areas where leaves will be placed. Load round brush with Mix A; using pattern as guide, freehand leaves starting at base of each leaf and pulling brush to a point at tip. Use script liner and same mix to paint stems. Soften leaves and stems with mop brush to avoid hard edges. Let dry; apply barrier coat.
- 2. Refer to worksheet.
- 1. Use #8 filbert to base petals and stem with Mix A; shade petals and left side of stem with mix of Raw Sienna + Carbon Black + Raw Umber + Phthalo Blue Green (3:1:1:tch) and highlight petal tips and right side of stem with Mix B. Deepen shading with Raw Umber. Strengthen highlights with Mix B + Titanium White (1:1). Load 1/4" angular with Burnt Sienna and place small accent near tip of each petal, but allowing light edge of petal to remain. Apply small accent of Hansa Yellow on left side of several petals. Add striation lines with thinned Mix A.
- 1. Base flesh with mix of Napthol Red + tch. of Extender; use #8 filbert to gently wipe out highlight areas and apply mix of Napthol Red Lt. + tch. of Extender to areas. Pat blend area where two colors meet and lightly mop. Use mix of Napthol Red + Ultramarine Blue (2:1) to shade beneath leafy stem, and along bottom and right edge of tomato. Apply barrier coat. Use #8 filbert to strengthen highlight with "highlight mixture" of Napthol Red Lt. + Hansa Yellow (1:1); mop lightly. Deepen shading with mix of Napthol Red + Ultramarine Blue (1:1). Apply barrier coat. Apply Extender to highlight areas and add Titanium White highlight shines; diffuse shines with mop brush.
- 2. For stem, base with Mix B; highlight with "highlight mixture" + Titanium White (1:1) and use Mix A to shade.
- 1. Base flesh with mix of Napthol Red + Ultramarine Blue + Extender (1:1:tch). Use #8 filbert to gently wipe out highlight area and apply a "highlight mixture" of Napthol Red + Ultramarine Blue + Titanium White + Extender (1:1:tch:tch) to area. Pat blend where colors meet and lightly mop. Use "shading mixtgure" of Napthol Red + Ultramarine Blue + Carbon Black + Extender (1:1:tch:tch) to shade beneath stem, and along left and bottom edges; mop lightly. Apply Extender to shaded area and deepen shading with "shading mixture" + tch. more Carbon Black. Strengthen highlight area with "highlight mixture" + tch. more Titanium White. Apply barrier coat. Apply extender to highlight area and add Titanium White highlight shine; diffuse with mop brush.
- 2. For stem, base with Mix B; highlight with "highlight mixture" + Titanium White (1:1). Strengthen highlight with "highlight mixture" + tch. more Titanium White. Shade with Mix A; deepen with "shading mixture"+ tch. more Carbon Black.
- 1. Follow manufacturer's directions to apply two to three varnish coats.