Pattern - Floral Spring Glass Block - Flowers
Pattern - Floral Spring Glass Block - Saying
- 1. Wipe glass block with rubbing alcohol; let dry. Use foam roller to roll one generous Buttermilk basecoat onto front of block. Use 3/4" angular shader to shade Turquoise Blue around inner edge of block front.
- 2. Basecoat wood base with two coats Buttermilk, sanding lightly between coats. Use 3/4" angular shader to shade thinned Turquoise Blue around outer edges of base front.
- 3. Print out patterns; lightly transfer basic pattern lines onto front of block and lettering onto front of base. (Transfer details as needed.)
- Artist's Tips
- 1. Washes of colors are used to build colors; thin colors with a few drops of water. If mistake is made, do not scrub paint as it will lift base color. Wet color with water and blot with paper towel; repaint area with base color and begin again.
- 2. Refer to worksheet.
- Yellow Flower
- 1. Load #3 filbert with thinned Bright Yellow, starting with top left petal, paint each petal using two side-by-side brush strokes. Use 1/4" angular shader to shade Yellow Ochre along inner petal edges and along base of petals; repeat with thinned Burnt Umber. Use liner to pull thinned Burnt Umber petal lines from base of petals.
- 2. Wash flower center with thinned Burnt Umber. Use 1/4 angular shader to shade with additional Burnt Umber; repeat. Use same color to add small "C" shape stroke in top center. Use fine tip of stylus to add Snow White dots along "C" shape. (Note: Colored pollen at base of flower center is added later.)
- Pink Flower
- 1. Use #8 filbert to paint petals with thinned Peony Pink. Use 1/4" angular shader and full strength Peony Pink to shade along inner petal edges and along base of petals; use liner to pull light vein lines.
- 2. Use round brush to base Bright Yellow flower center. Use 1/4" angular to shade Burnt Umber and to add "C" shape stroke in top center; highlight Yellow Lt. along outer edge of "C" shape.
- White Flower
- 1. Use #3 filbert and slightly thinned Snow White to paint petals in same manner as Yellow Flower. Use 1/4" angular shader and thinned Midnite Blue to shade along inner petal edges and along base of petals; use liner to pull light vein lines.
- 2. Wash flower center with thinned Bright Yellow. Use 1/4" angular shader to shade Cadmium Yellow along left side and to add "C" shape stroke in top center; repeat with Yellow Ochre.
- Finishing Flowers
- 1. Use thinned Turquoise Blue to lightly shade behind flowers. Use fine tip of stylus and all flower colors to add pollen dots along base of flower centers and along base of "C" shapes.
- Stems and Leaves
- 1. Use thinned Avocado and round brush to base stems; use #8 filbert to base leaves. Use 1/4" angular and full strength Avocado to shade base of leaves and along left side of stems; line center leaf veins.
- 1. Base Cadmium Yellow. Use Lamp Black and liner to add squiggly stripes; add stinger, head, antennae, and legs. Use Snow White to dot eyes and to wash wings. Use mix of Snow White + Lamp Black for light grey color; add wing veins and lightly outline wings.
- 1. Use liner and thinned Avocado to paint wording; add hearts. Use thinned Avocado to add stitch lines around outer edge of base.
- 2. Apply two to three varnish coats over painted glass area and base. Insert light fixture into hole of base.