Embossing items (Ten Seconds Studio): Embossing Basic Tool Set; Humungo Killer Tape Sheet; Metal Effects Small Mat
Carbon transfer paper
1. Wash and dry cans, Cut off lid and bottom of can. Cut along side to remove any burrs. Measure and cut 7/8"-wide strips across the longest way. Crimp 1-1/8" along one strip and cut remaining length so entire strip measures 3-1/8". Cut strips 3-1/4" long and 4" long. Crimp 1-5/8" along last strip and cut remaining length so whole strip measures 4-1/8".
2. Arrange strips as shown in photo. Transfer checkered, lettered and scroll patterns onto tracing paper and cover with packing tape to reinforce. Place pattern onto corresponding strips positioned over the thin mat and using the stylus trace over the patterns with light pressure. Make sure patterns are visible on opposite side. Turn strips over onto thick mat and emboss pattern lines deeper without tearing metal. Turn strips over onto acrylic mat and refine lines by pressing on both sides of the pattern with the white Teflon tip. Turn strips over onto thick mat again and press deeper into the lines and pattern with the Teflon tip to make pattern as deep as desired. Turn over onto acrylic sheet again and refine with Teflon tip. Turn the top and bottom strips over again onto the thin mat and roll the wheel across as shown to emboss. Refine in same way as before.
3. Using the burnishing block sand paint off tops of embossed patterns. Using small end of brass brush sand in between patterns until desired look is achieved. Apply red and purple alcohol inks across top strip from the left to a little across the middle, and also across the bottom strip. Use burnishing block to sand over embossed designs again. Use cotton-tip swab moistened with blending solution to remove ink between pattern lines to bring out pattern more.
4. Sand frame to remove any old finish and paint Titanium White. Let dry. Turn embossed strips over and cut adhesive to fit. Remove one side of adhesive to fit. Remove one side of adhesive cover and adhere to backs of strips. Remove other side of adhesive and adhere strips to frame as shown.
1. Dimensions are provided for a 7/8"-wide, 4"x5" frame, but technique can be applied to frame of any size.
1. Experiment with other alcohol ink combinations for a different look.