- DecoArt: Americana Acrylics: Antique Green, Buttermilk, Celery Green, Dioxazine Purple, Driftwood, Lamp (Ebony) Black, Light Buttermilk, Marigold, Raw Sienna, Snow (Titanium) White, Wisteria; Metallics: Shimmering Silver
- Brushes: Loew-Cornell: La Corneille Golden Taklon: Round Stroke, Series 7040, #1, #4; Shader, Series 7300, #8, #12; Liner, Series 7350, #10/0, #2, #4; American Painter: Angular, Series 4400, 3/8"
- Stencil Brush, Series 1136, #6
- DecoArt: Americana Acrylic Multi-Purpose Sealer; DuraClear Varnish, Matte
- Rabecca Baer Strokework Background Stencil (ST-102)
- Organza purple ribbon, 3/4"-wide, 20" length
- Scalloped Ornament (#101352) from Cabin Crafters
Pattern - Christmas Dove
- 1. Sand ornament smooth; wipe dust. Undercoat with mix of Dioxazine Purple + Multi-Purpose Sealer (1:1). Lightly sand again. Base with just Dioxazine Purple; let dry and repeat. While wet, slip-slap Wisteria. Stencil Shimmering Silver over ornament.
- 2. Print out pattern; transfer basic pattern lines. (Transfer details as needed.)
- 3. Use Buttermilk to base dove and foliage.
- Artist's Tips
- 1. Use wet-into-wet technique, painting one section at a time, finishing all colors before moving onto next section. Paint tail feathers and back wing first, then body, then front wing.
- 1. Apply second Buttermilk coat; while wet, use #1 round brush to add some Raw Sienna and Driftwood to form wing feathers, tail feathers, and along bottom of body. While base coat is still wet, use Lt. Buttermilk to highlight feathers and along top of head and body, then add Snow White. Let dry. Float Driftwood along bottom of belly, on back wing along body, and on tail feathers along body. Use #1 round to float Snow White highlight along top of head and body, top of back wing, top of tail feather, and along front of front wing.
- 2. Paint beak Marigold. Dot eye Lamp Black; add tiny Snow White highlight dot.
- 1. Use small round or liner brush, adding colors randomly. Begin stroking with Antique Green, then Celery Green, Marigold, and finally Lt. Buttermilk.
- 1. Drill hole a bit larger. Apply two to three varnish coats. Fold ribbon in half and thread fold through hole, then thread ends through loop formed. Pull up ends. Tie a 4"-wide bow, 4" from top of ornament.