This idea was originally published in our 2016 Winter issue. Subscribe today and save off newsstand prices! You’ll get ALL the projects delivered to you in six jam-packed issues per year.
1. Cover work area with newspaper or kraft paper. Trace around coaster base to create templates on scratch piece of paper.
2. Sort desired tile colors into piles. To create pink heart, you will need 36 tiles for heart outline and 18 pieces for inner heart. To create blue heart, you will need 20 pieces for heart outline and 29 pieces for inner heart. Each coaster uses 81 tiles in total.
3. Lay tiles onto each template, spacing 1/16” from the edge and apart. Refer to photograph as a guide. When laying out pieces, it may be easier to see your design by leaving no space between the tiles, just be sure to make template only nine tiles wide and nine tiles high and add 1/16” spaces before you move onto the next step.
4. When satisfied with placement, spread adhesive over one coaster base. Place tiles, starting with two adjacent sides to ensure they fit nicely width and height wise. Be sure to leave 1/16” space from the edge and between tiles. Continue filling coaster until complete. Repeat with second coaster. Allow mosaic to dry according to manufacturer’s instructions.
5. Mix ¼ cup of white grout with 1½ tablespoons of water to achieve peanut butter consistency.
6. With gloved hand, smooth grout over tile, filling in crevices. Remove as much excess grout as you can with your hand. After 10 minutes, use damp sponge or paper towels to remove grout haze. Let set overnight. When dry, buff with a smooth cloth.