Mosaic Breakfast Tray
- Wood, 1/2” to 3/4” thick, desired size for bottom of tray
- Wooden square dowels, 3/4”, to fit around tray
- Metal handle hardware, two
- Jennifer’s Mosaics (Diamond Tech): Blue Stained Glass Chips; China Blue Vintage Mosaic Tile Pieces
- Glazed tile squares: light blue; dark blue
- White premixed sanded tile grout (Diamond Tech)
- Stencil Décor adhesive stencil (Plaid): Damask
- Americana Acrylic Paints (DecoArt): Chiffon Blue; Light French Blue; Sapphire
- Weathered Wood Crackling Medium (DecoArt)
- Americana Matte Sealer
- Adhesives (Beacon Adhesives): Mosaic Glue; 3-in-1 Advanced Craft Glue
- Hammer and 1” to 1-1/4”-long nails
- Electric drill
- 1. If pieces of glass and broken tiles are different thicknesses, purchase grout that is also an adhesive and spread grout under thinned pieces in place of glue to build them up to thicker pieces.
- 1. For tray, cut and glue square dowel pieces to fit around top edge of wooden rectangle. Hammer nails through dowel pieces into wooden rectangle. Sand and wipe dust.
- 2. Basecoat dowel pieces and sides of tray Light French Blue. Let dry. Brush one coat of crackling medium on top of blue paint. Let dry thoroughly. Brush one coat of Blue Chiffon on top of crackling medium. Cracks will appear as paint dries. Paint bottom of tray Blue Chiffon.
- 3. Stencil damask border design on top corners of tray with Sapphire. Apply sealer.
- 4. Glue stained glass chips around inside edge of tray, leaving 1/8" to 1/4" between them.
- 5. To break glazed tiles, place tiles one at a time in a zippered plastic bag. Turn tile upside down on a hard flat surface. Hammer tile until it breaks. Continue hammering tile until broken pieces are desired sizes. Place broken pieces of china and glazed tiles in center of tray, placing smaller pieces to fill in between larger pieces; glue. Let dry 24 hours.
- 6. Spread grout over tile pieces on tray, using a craft stick or fingers, wearing disposable gloves. Push grout into all crevices. Let grout set up for 10 to 15 minutes. Use damp sponge to slowly wipe off group from top of tiles. Rinse grout from sponge and wring out excess water as you wipe. When dry, polish tiles with a soft cloth. Touch up paint on tray if needed.
- 7. Drill holes in top sides of tray at placement of handles. Insert screws through holes in tray and handles.