- 1. Use marker to sketch shape of ornament base on piece of clear glass. (Note: Featured ornament measures 2-1/4"x4-3/4".)
- 2. Use glass cutter to score glass along sketched outline. Break out glass shape with running pliers.
- 3. Cut out desired images, eliminating as much background as possible. Glue image to clear glass base.
- 4. Glue gem to top of ornament.
- 5. Cut another piece of clear glass to cover image. Score and break into large pieces using glass cutter. Cover image with clear glass, leaving 1/8" between pieces. Make sure a majority of image is visible though glass.
- 6. Completely cover back of glass with adhesive. Place glass over image and press firmly over entire surface. Moving glass piece back and forth over image will help spread adhesive evenly underneath glass. Use toothpick to remove any excess adhesive from sides.
- 7. Choose stained glass chips that coordinate with image. Nip glass into small pieces using wheeled glass nippers. Fit glass pieces around image, leaving 1/8" between pieces for grout. Once glass is positioned on ornament, glue into place and let dry.
- 8. Place four tablespoons of black grout in disposable cup. Slowly add water 1 teaspoon at a time to grout, mix with craft stick or plastic spoon until grout reaches a fudge-like consistency. If grout is too watery, add more dry grout in small amounts to correct consistency.
- 9. Wearing disposable gloves, spread grout into all spaces between glass pieces. Wait approximately 15 minutes for grout to set.
- 10. Begin to gently wipe away excess group using a damp sponge, taking care not to pull grout out of spaces. Use finger to smooth grout around outer edge of ornament. (Note: It is important to remove grout from tile surface before it is completely dry.)
- 11. Use soft cloth to buff tiles to a clean shine. Let dry for 24 hours.
- 12. For hanger, cut a 12" length from copper wire. Use round-nose pliers to shape one wire end into a spiral. Slide several beads onto open end of wire and push them up towards spiral. Use pliers to bend wire at a 90° angle after last bead, then bend wire back again to prevent beads from sliding down.
- 13. Place wire on solid surface and cover with sheet of paper. Use hammer and pound copper wire flat to strengthen. Flatten spiral and end of wire without striking beads.
- 14. Place ornament face down and position hanger on back of ornament, spiral side facing away from ornament. Tape to secure. Apply glass glue over exposed wire and let dry.
Tips and precautions to keep in mind when making Stained Glass art