size: 2" tall
- Glass votive holders, 2” tall, three
- Votive candles, three
- Colored Glass Tile*, 3/4”: jack-o-lantern: Pumpkin, six; Tangerine, six; Black, 23; ghost: Arctic, 11; Black, 24; black cat: Canary, 13; Black, 22
- Sanded Charcoal Grout*, 1 lb. bag
- Basic Tile Nipper*
- Grout mixing bowl
- Grout spreading tool
- Grout sponge
- Wooden craft sticks
- Latex gloves
- Safety glasses
- Newspaper (to cover work surface)
- Cellophane tape
- Paper towels
- Vegetable oil
- *Products by Mosaic Mercantile
Pattern - Mosaic Votives
- 1. Print out pattern. Tape patterns inside votive holders.
- 2. Cover work surface with newspaper.
- 3. (Note: Wear safety glasses while nipping tiles.) Place tile between nipper blades and gently squeeze blades together. Cup hand lightly over tile while squeezing. Carefully nip tiles into small, irregular pieces. Try to make the pieces small enough to fit into patterns. Sort pieces by color.
- 4. Lay votive cups on sides with patterns facing up. Prop them up with stable objects to prevent them from rolling as needed.
- 5. Use craft stick to dab a small amount of adhesive onto textured side of nipped tile. Place tile onto votive with smooth side up. Leave 1-1/6" to 1/8" gaps between tiles for grout. Apply tile beginning with face of jack-o-lantern, ghost or cat. Work out from there, filling in black background tiles last. For top rim and bottom edge, place tile so it is flush with edge of votive cup.
- 6. After applying tile to votive cups, let dry at least 12 hours.
- 7. (Note: Wear latex gloves while applying grout.) Use craft stick to mix grout with water in bowl to consistency of thick, creamy paste.
- 8. Use spreader tool to scoop out group and spread it over tiles and into gaps between tiles. Work grout into crevices until it is smooth and level with tile surface.
- 9. After applying grout, wait 15 minutes for it to harden slightly.
- 10. Gently wipe off grout with grout sponge, removing excess grout from all surfaces. Wash out sponge periodically while cleaning tile.
- 11. Let dry overnight. Gently loosen any remaining excess grout from tile with craft stick. Polish tiles with paper towel or cloth. For extra shiny tiles, polish with a small amount of vegetable oil.