Mosaic Star Ornaments
Mosaic Star Ornaments
- Papier-mâché star ornaments
- Glass Tiles*, 3/4”: Blue Star: Snowcap, 24; Metallic Indigo, five; Red Star: Tomato, 24; Lime, three; Metallic Clover, two
- Mirror Tiles*, 3/8” square, 13
- Mini Glass Tiles* (for sides), 3/8”: Blue Star: Snowcap, 20; Metallic Indigo, 20; Red Star: Tomato, 20; Lime, 20
- Snow White Sanded Grout*
- Adhesive*, 4 oz.
- Basic Tile Nipper*
- Grout supplies*: Mixing Bowl; Spreading Tool; Sponge
- Wooden craft sticks
- Latex gloves
- Safety glasses
- Paper towels
- Vegetable oil
- *Products by Mosaic Mercantile
- 1. Cover work area with newspaper. Wear latex gloves to keep hands clean.
- 2. (Note: Wear safety glasses while nipping tiles.) Nip 3/4" tile for face of ornaments into irregular pieces. To nip tile, place tile between blades of tile nipper and gently squeeze blades together. Cup hand lightly over tile while squeezing. Carefully nip tiles into small, irregular pieces. Sort pieces by color.
- 3. Using craft stick, dab a little adhesive onto textured side of nipped tile.
- 4. Place tile onto star ornament, applying tile randomly. Leave 1/16" to 1/8" gaps between tiles for grout.
- 5. Apply mini tiles to sides of ornaments. Nip three mini tiles in each of the mini tile colors to use on points and in inner corners of stars. Nip these tiles in half. Do not nip the remaining mini tiles; you may apply them whole. Apply mini tiles in alternating colors. Use photo as guide to apply tiles. Leave 1/16" to 1/8" gaps between mini tiles for grout.
- 6. After applying tile around sides of stars, let dry at least four hours.
- 7. Mix water into sanded grout in grout mixing bowl with a wooden craft stick until grout is thick, creamy paste consistency.
- 8. Use grout spreader tool to scoop out grout and spread it over tiles and into gaps between tiles. Work grout into crevices until it becomes smooth and is level with tile surface.
- 9. After applying grout, wait 10 minutes for it to harden slightly.
- 10. Gently wipe off grout with damp grout sponge, removing excess grout from all surfaces. Wash out sponge periodically while cleaning tile.
- 11. Let dry overnight. Gently loosen any remaining excess grout from tile with a wooden craft stick. Polish tiles with a paper towel or cloth. For extra shiny tiles, polish with a small amount of vegetable oil.