Pattern - Spring Tweets Mosaic Stepping Stones
- 1. Cover work surface with newspaper.
- 2. If casting your own stone, use paper towel to apply thin coat of petroleum jelly inside an 8" mold. Wearing mask and rubber gloves, mix five cups outdoor cement with 12 oz. water in plastic mixing bowl. Add two oz. water until cement is of pourable consistency. Pour cement slowly and evenly into mold; gently tap sides of mold to release air bubbles in cement.
- 3. Let mold set for 5-12 hours. Once set, remove stone from mold by turning mold over and lifting edges. Allow stone to completely dry for 12 hours.
- 4. Print out pattern. Cut contact paper same-size as patterns.
- 5. Position contact paper over pattern so backing is facing up; remove backing paper. Hold contact paper and pattern in place by taping to work surface. See Step 1.
- 6. Use Wheeled Tile Nipper to nip glass tiles into desired shapes. Fit pieces inside pattern outlines, leaving 1/8" between each piece. See Step 2.
- 7. Once satisfied with design, press firmly on glass to secure to contact paper. Remove tape from contact paper and pattern. See Step 3.
- 8. Apply thin layer of glue to top of stone. See Step 4. Lift stone and position it glue side down on contact paper. Firmly press stone onto glass and contact paper. See Step 5. Turn stone right side up and allow glue to dry.
- 9. Once glue has dried, peel back contact paper and remove. See Step 6. Reapply glue on pieces if needed.
- 10. Tape off edges of stone to prevent grout from staining sides. (Note: Set a few tablespoons of dry grout aside.) Mix eight oz. bone grout with 1 Tbsp. water in plastic mixing bowl. Continue adding 1 Tbsp. water at a time until grout reaches "fudge"-like consistency. If grout is too watery, add dry grout that was set aside.
- 11. Wearing rubber gloves, spread grout on stone, filling all areas between tile pieces. See Step 7. Let grout set for 15 minutes.
- 12. Gently wipe excess grout from stone using paper towel or sponge, taking care to not to pull grout out of spaces. See Step 8. Use finger to smooth grout around outer edge of stone.
- 13. Use soft cloth to buff glass tiles to clean shine. Allow 24 hours to completely dry.