Wooden clothespin, 3¾”
Green rhinestones, 2mm
Magenta self-adhesive flower gem: ½”, one; 5/8”, three
Purple self-adhesive flower gems, 5/8”, two
Satin ribbon: 1/8” brown, 1/8” tan, 3/8” turquoise
Plaid FolkArt Acrylic Craft Paint: Teddy Bear Tan, Coffee Latte, Toasted Vanilla
Pink paint pen
Beacon’s Tacky Craft Glue
This idea was originally published in our 2016 Summer issue. Subscribe today and save off newsstand prices! You’ll get ALL the projects delivered to you in six jam-packed issues per year.
(Note: Directions are for one hula girl.)
1. Paint clothespin tan. Let dry.
2. For grass skirt, cut 6” piece of tan ribbon. Cut 20 pieces of 10” long raffia. Fold each piece of raffia in half and attach to ribbon with a hoop knot (see Tip). Tie grass skirt ribbon around waist of clothespin.
3. For hula girl’s top, wrap turquoise ribbon around body and adhere.
4. For hair, cut 6 pieces of brown ribbon. Adhere brown ribbon pieces onto back of head. Cut longer pieces of ribbon and adhere across top of head to make top and sides of hair. Trim ends.
5. Adhere two rhinestone eyes onto face with small amount of adhesive using toothpick. For lips, draw little heart on face with paint pen as shown.
6. Create flower necklace lei by adhering small flower gems around neck. Adhere large flower gem onto one side of head as shown.