Grafix Clear Shrink Film
The Crafter’s Workshop Stencils: Beaded Curtain, Labyrinth, Retrobursts, Spiral Staircase, Scallop Flowers, Crosshatched Fragment, Chrysanthemum, 6” Fireworks, Butterfly Collage, Folk Art Flower
Sharpie Fine Point Permanent Markers: Yellow, Orange,
Hot Pink, Red, Lime, Aqua
Fine silver chain
Jump rings: large, one; small, 37
Circle punches: 2½”, 3½”
This idea was originally published in our 2016 Garden issue. Subscribe today and save off newsstand prices! You’ll get ALL the projects delivered to you in six jam-packed issues per year.
1. Tape sheet of Clear Shrink Film to work surface. Tape Beaded Curtain stencil on top of film to secure. Fill in stencil with Yellow Sharpie and outline circles with orange Sharpie. Reposition and re-tape stencil as needed to cover entire sheet with designs.
2. Flip film over and tape to work surface to add designs to both sides of film. Tape and secure Labyrinth stencil onto film and use aqua Sharpie to fill in stencil. Reposition and re-tape stencil as needed to cover entire sheet with designs. Tape Retro Bursts stencil onto same side of film. Fill in stencil using hot pink Sharpie.
3. Punch six 3½” circles from stenciled film using circle punch. Punch holes at the top and bottom of each circle with hole punch.
4. Tape another sheet of film to work surface. Tape Crosshatch pattern on top of film and fill in stencil with lime Sharpie. Reposition and re-tape stencil as needed to cover entire sheet with designs. Remove stencil and scribble in blank space using aqua Sharpie.
5. Flip film over and tape to work surface to add designs to both sides of film. Tape and secure Scallop Flower Stencil onto film. Shade in stencil using crosshatch method with red and hot pink Sharpies.
6. Punch six 2½” circles from stenciled film using circle punch. Punch holes at top and bottom of each circle with hole punch.
7.Use center portion of Folk Art Flower Stencil and all Sharpie colors to create design on a new sheet of film. Stencil large butterfly from the Butterfly Collage onto same sheet of film. Fill in butterfly wings using orange Sharpie and body using lime Sharpie. Use yellow and hot pink Sharpies to add colors to base design of butterfly.
8. Fussy-cut designs. Punch holes at ends of each petal and in butterfly center for hanging.
9.Make six diamond shapes on leftover pieces of film using Chrysanthemum stencil. Turn film over and add accents using Fireworks stencil and aqua and hot pink markers. Fussy cut diamonds and punch holes at top of each diamond.
10. Line baking sheet with parchment paper and film designs. Bake following manufacturer’s instructions; let cool completely.
11. Attach small jump rings to each flower petal. Attach the following below each jump ring: 1¼” piece of chain, jump ring, large circle, jump ring, 1” piece of chain, small circle, 1” piece of chain and diamond.
12. Cut six 1¼” pieces of chain. Attach each chain above the flower onto each jump ring from Step 11. Pull all six chains together and link using large jump ring. Shorten chains as needed to balance top piece.
13. Cut 3” piece of chain. Loop top 2” of chain and attach with small jump ring. Thread 1” bottom of loop down into butterfly and secure to large jump ring with six chains connected to it from Step 12.
You don’t have to totally fill in designs on stencils; you can use scribbled lines to partially color them in.