Toile Candle Box
Toile Candle Box
- Recycled wooden cigar box, 7-1/2”x8-1/2”
- Small wooden appliqué
- Glass votive candleholders, three
- Heavy cardboard
- Dow STYROFOAM Brand Foam Sheet, 1/2”x12”x36”
- Red/white toile cotton fabric, 1/3 yd.
- Poly-fil Traditional Quilt Batting
- Red silk flowers
- Red tissue paper
- Plaid FolkArt Titanium White Artist’s Pigment Acrylic Paint
- Wire cutters
- Adhesives: liquid glue, wood glue, glue gun and sticks
- scissors, ruler, fine-grit sandpaper, soft cloth, flat paintbrush, serrated kitchen knife, wax candle
- Note: Never leave burning candles unattended.
- 1. Remove labels from cigar box. Lightly sand box; wipe dust with soft cloth.
- 2. Using wood glue, adhere wooden appliqué to box front; let dry.
- 3. Basecoat box Titanium White; let dry.
- 4. Sand box edges and appliqué for a distressed look; set box aside.
- 5. Cut cardboard slightly smaller than inside of box lid. Cut batting to same size. Use glue gun to adhere batting to cardboard.
- 6. Cut toile fabric 1" larger than lid measurement. Place fabric, right side down, on work surface. Center cardboard/batting piece, batting side down, on fabric. Wrap fabric edges to back of cardboard; secure with glue gun. Be sure front of fabric is smooth. Adhere fabric square inside lid using glue gun.
- 7. Wax serrated knife with candle. Measure and cut foam sheet to fit inside bottom of box; place foam in box.
- 8. Position votive holders in center of box; add additional foam scraps around holders to secure. Press down gently on votive holders to mark position, then remove holders.
- 9. Cover foam with tissue paper and replace votive holders.
- 10. Using wire cutters, cut flower stems to 2" lengths. Insert stems into foam around votive holders.
- *tip: For more sparkle, fill base of cigar box with vase-filler pebbles instead of silk blossoms. Candlelight will reflect off glass surface of pebbles to create a soft glow.