FloraCraft Make It: Fun Dow STYROFOAM Brand Foam White Rod, 6”x24”
Hampton Art Ki Flutter Lovely Ruffle Cardstock
Hampton Art Ki Ruffle Stickers: Best Friends, Simply Lovely
Black-and-white striped paper straws, eight
Pink paper shreds
Girlfriend photo, 4”x4”
FloraCraft Design It: Foam Cutter
Elmer’s X-ACTO Tools: 12” Rotary Paper Trimmer, 5” Precision Tip Scissors, X3000 Craft Knife, 12” Metal Ruler
Elmer’s CraftBond Adhesives: All Purpose Glue Stick, Pop-Up Medium Glue Spots
pencil, black fine-tip marker, white copy paper
1. Measure and mark foam rod at 5" from one end, marking several spots around rod. Lightly sketch line to connect marks; use Design It: Foam Cutter to cut along line. Set aside remaining foam for future projects.
2. Cut Flutter Lovely Ruffle Cardstock in half, cutting perpendicular to stitch lines and cutting carefully between butterflies. Gently fold out each butterfly wing to add dimension.
3. Apply glue stick to sides of foam rod and wrap with first piece of cardstock, allowing 1" to extend above top of foam. Cut second half of cardstock to 7-1/2" long. Adhere cardstock to back of foam rod, overlapping ends slightly and applying additional glue stick to secure.
4. Remove and adhere five stickers to copy paper; cut out stickers. (Note: This prevents stickers from sticking where ends extend beyond straw.) Use Glue Spots to adhere cut-out stickers to ends of five paper straws. Use marker to write personal message on one sticker.
5. To make photo frame, use scissors to cut remaining straws into two 2-3/4" and two 3-1/4" lengths. Carefully use craft knife to slit each straw lengthwise. (Note: Brace hands on table, being careful not to cut through both sides of straw.) Slip long straws across top and bottom edges of photo. Slip short straws onto sides. Use Glue Spot to adhere framed photo to end of another straw.
6. Using photo as guide, trim straws to different heights and insert into foam. If needed, first push pencil into foam to make hole for straw. Secure any wobbly straws with Glue Spots.
7. Fill top of piece with paper shreds.
1. Use this same idea to create personalized table centerpieces for a birthday celebration, bridal shower, or graduation party.