Recycled Plastic Bag Tote
Celebrate Earth Day! Instead of throwing out those old plastic grocery bags cluttering up your closet, "go green" and recycle them into a sturdy and handy tote. Mother Earth will appreciate your efforts.
- Recycled plastic shopping bags: blue, white, grey
- Size Q (or 19) crochet hook
- 1. To make "yarn", cut handles from plastic grocery bag. Cut 3"-wide strip from bag. Continue cutting around bag creating one long strip. Repeat process to create multiple plastic strips.
- 2. Measure 4" from end on blue strip. Make loop on hook. Chain 16. Single crochet in second chain from hook. Make a single crochet in each of remaining chains (15 single crochets total). At end of plastic strip, overlap 6" at end of first strip with beginning 6" of second strip; crochet two together. At end of row, knot end of first plastic strip with beginning of second strip before chaining one to start next row.
- 3. Chain one. Turn crocheted piece. Single crochet in each single crochet already worked.
- 4. To change color, cut blue strip 4" from last single crochet. Tie white and blue strips into knot at end of last single crochet.
- 5. Repeat process to single crochet two rows with white strips.
- 6. Continue chaining one and working single crochets, alternating two rows of blue and two rows of white strips for 34 rows.
- 7. To end, cut blue strip 4" from last single crochet. Pull strip through loop on hook.
- 8. Fold crocheted rectangle in half so loose ends are at sides. Tuck loose ends inside. Using grey strips, single crochet sides of rectangle together forming rectangle shape.
- 9. For handle, attach grey strip to top of rectangle on one side. Chain 30. Attach chain to opposite side of rectangle. Make single crochet in each chain on handle.
- Go Green!
- 1. Many grocery stores and retail shops provide the opportunity to recycle your plastic bags! Make the effort to bring a bunch back each time you go to the store. This helps keep bags out of landfills and cuts down on the energy used to make new bags!