Spring Place Setting
Spring Place Setting
- Fabric: place mat border and back, 1/2 yd.; place mat center, 1/2 yd.; napkins, 1/2 yd.; napkin ring, 1/8 yd.
- Fusible interfacing, 1 yd.
- Buttons, four
- Sewing machine and coordinating thread
- Turning tool
- iron and pressing surface, razor
- 1. Note: Use 1/4" seam allowance unless otherwise noted.
- 2. Cut one 8-1/2"x12-1/2" rectangle from place mat center fabric, two 16"x2-1/2" strips from place mat border fabric, two 8-1/2"x2-1/2" strips from place mat border fabric, one 12"x16" rectangle from place mat border fabric, and one 12"x16" rectangle fusible interfacing for placement.
- 3. Cut one 18"x22" rectangle from napkin fabric. Cut two 3-1/2"x9-1/2" rectangles from napkin ring fabric and two 3-1/2"x9-1/2" rectangles from fusible interfacing.
- 4. Fold napkin fabric lengthwise with right sides together. Sew around edge using ¼" seam allowance leaving a 3" opening along one side. Clip corners and turn right side out through opening. Turn opening edge under 1/4". Press entire napkin. Stitch 1/8" from edge of napkin to finish.
- 5. For napkin ring, follow manufacturer's directions to fuse interfacing to wrong side of each napkin ring piece. Place napkin ring pieces right sides together and stitch around edges leaving a 3" opening along one side. Clip corners and turn right side out. Press unfinished edges of opening under. Topstitch 1/8" from edge all the way around.
- 6. To make buttonhole on napkin ring, measure button length. From short end of napkin ring rectangle, measure 1" and mark vertical length of buttonhole. Make sure buttonhole placement is centered and cut slit with razor. Sew button into place so it lines up with hole.
- 7. Stitch one 2-1/2"x8-1/2" place mat border fabric strip with right sides together along the 8-1/2" edge of place mat center. Press seam open. Repeat on other side.
- 8. With right sides together, stitch 2-1/2"x16" strip of border fabric along the top edge of place mat center. This strip will go across the side border strip as well. Stitch and then press seam open. Repeat on bottom edge.
- 9. Following manufacturer's instructions, fuse interfacing to wrong side of place mat.
- 10. Place 12"x16" rectangle and front of place mat right sides together. Stitch all the way around with 1/2" seam allowance leaving a 3" opening along bottom. Clip corners and turn right side out through opening. Use turning tool to pull out corners neatly. Press well, open seams and press flat.
- 11. Topstitch 1/4" from outer edge all the way around place mat. Topstitch 1/4" from center seam line all the way around place mat.
- 1. Materials are listed to make four place settings.