Magical Mermaid Designs
size: wall hanging, 22"x34"; crayon roll, 6"x21"; purse, 9"x11"
Magical Mermaid Designs
- Sew Sweet Chic Magical Mermaid: Pre-printed Fabric Panel, 24” (9654-0126), Green Dot Fabric (9657-0114), Crab Tossed Fabric (9662-0126), All Over Pink (9655-0125), Stripe (9660-0126), Pink Wave Dot (9661-0126), Yellow Wave Dot (9661-0133), Blue Wave Dot (9661-0150)
- Cotton batting, 1-1/2 yd.
- Crystal rhinestones, 10mm, 15
- Assorted ribbon, 6”, five
- Ribbon flower trims, 1”, four
- Ribbon rosebud trims, 1”, five
- Large rickrack, 3/4 yd.
- Plastic loops, 1”, three
- Sewing machine, needle and coordinating thread
- Metallic thread
- Disappearing ink marking pen
- Glitter glue
- Fabri-Tac Permanent Adhesive
- straight pins, measuring tape or ruler, iron and ironing board, rotary cutter and cutting mat
- Wall Hanging
- 1. Fussy cut center mermaid panel to 23"x29-1/4". (Save leftover border pieces for crayon holder.)
- 2. Cut five 5"x6" assorted fabric pieces. Cut five 6" ribbon pieces. Sew top edge of ribbons right sides down onto center of each fabric piece along the 5" width.
- 3. Using 1/4" seam allowance, sew five fabric pieces together to form a continuous strip so ribbon pieces are hanging from top. Press seams.
- 4. Sew fabric strip to bottom of panel using 1/4" seam. Press seam. Cut rickrack to same width as panel. Sew rickrack along seam.
- 5. Cut 23"x34-3/4" from Pink Wave Dot Fabric for backing. Cut 23"x34-3/4" from batting.
- 6. Layer front and back panels right sides together on top of batting. Pin layers to secure. Sew together using 1/4" seam leaving an opening for turning. Turn right side out and stitch opening closed.
- 7. Stitch around wings, bottom of tail and inner and outer edges of white border using metallic thread or quilt as desired. Top stitch around all outer edges.
- 8. Trim length of ribbon pieces as desired. Cut small squares of Velcro to fit width of each ribbon. Adhere Velcro squares to top and bottom with adhesive. Fold over ribbon pieces to align Velcro squares.
- 9. Adhere ribbon rosebuds onto top of ribbon pieces. Stitch three plastic loops onto back for hanging.
- 10. Apply glitter glue onto wings and bottom of tail. Adhere crystal rhinestone onto flower on mermaid's bodice. Embellish wall hanging as desired to add extra sparkle. Hang jewelry or other accessories onto ribbon tabs.
- Crayon Roll
- 1. Cut one 6-1/2"x23" border from leftover border piece from wall hanging, cut one 6-1/2"x23" from Crab Tossed and one 6-1/2"x23" piece from cotton batting.
- 2. Cut 3-3/4"x23" from Stripe fabric for pocket and 2-1/2x23" from Green Dot Wave for binding.
- 3. For pocket binding, fold long edge wrong sides together and press. Open and press each long edge to the center crease. Fold in half and press. Fold binding over top edge of Stripe pocket piece. Stitch close to edge.
- 4. Baste wrong side of pocket onto right side of Crab Tossed piece along sides and bottom.
- 5. Starting at pocket center, use disappearing ink pen to mark stitching lines 1-1/2" apart. Topstitch along lines to form 14 crayon pockets.
- 6. For tie, cut 2-1/2"x37" from Green Wave Dot Fabric. Fold short ends 1/4" under then press. Fold long edge wrong sides together and press. Open and press each long edge to center crease. Fold in half, press and topstitch along long edge.
- 7. Fold tie in half and baste centerfold to front piece. Layer front and back pieces right sides together on top of batting. Sew together leaving an opening for turning.
- 8. Turn right side out and press. Stitch opening closed. Top stitch around outer edges.
- 1. Cut four 13"x15" pieces from Stripe fabric and two 13"x15" pieces of cotton batting.
- 2. Place batting between front and back Stripe pieces with wrong sides of fabric facing batting. Pin layers to secure. Quilt as desired. Repeat for other side of purse. Trim sides of purse to 9"x11".
- 3. Cut one 6"x11" pocket piece from Crab Tossed fabric, one 6"x11" pocket piece from All Over Pink fabric, and two 2-1/2"x11" pocket binding pieces from Blue Wave Dot.
- 4. For pocket binding, fold long edge wrong sides together and press. Open and press each long edge to center crease. Fold in half and press. Fold binding over top edge of each pocket piece. Stitch close to edge.
- 5. Baste pockets onto each side of purse with wrong sides of pocket facing right side of purse.
- 6. For All Over Pink Fabric pockets, measure 3-3/4" from each edge and mark two lines using a disappearing ink marking pen. Topstitch along lines to form three pockets.
- 7. For Crab Floating Fabric pockets, mark line in center of fabric piece. Topstitch along line to form two pockets.
- 8. Baste two purse sections together with pockets facing out. Sew binding around sides and bottom edge of purse. Bind entire top edge of purse.
- 9. Cut two 3-1/2"x15" from Green Dot Fabric for straps. Fold short ends 1/4" under then press. Fold long edges of strap to wrong side, having edges meet at center. Press. Fold in half, then top stitch along each long edge. Sew straps to purse approximately 1/2" below binding along bottom edge. Stitch straps again along bottom edge of binding.
- 10. Adhere ribbon flower onto ends of each strap and seven crystal rhinestones along each pocket binding.
- 1. If making the Magical Mermaid Wall Hanging from the 24" wide panel, use one of the left over border pieces for the front of the crayon roll. The second border piece from the panel makes a charming print for the Magical Mermaid Apron.