This idea was originally published in our 2016 Fall issue. Subscribe today and save off newsstand prices! You’ll get ALL the projects delivered to you in six jam-packed issues per year.
1. Cut 15”x11” piece from vinyl, 15½”x11” from coordinating print for lining, 3”x3” from coordinating print for applique, and 15½”x11” and 3”x3” from Lamfix.
2. Apply Lamifix to right side of lining fabric and applique fabric following manufacturer’s instructions.
3. For applique, create monogram template on computer. Select desired font and set size to 2”. Project shown uses Impact font, lower case. Print template at 100% scale. Fussy cut letter template and trace onto right side of applique fabric. Cut out applique monogram.
4. Place vinyl right side up on flat surface with short ends at top and bottom. Position applique letter on upper right corner, center of letter should be 2½” down from top edge and 2½” in from right edge. Pin in place.
5. Insert size 80 universal needle and thread sewing machine with 40 wt. rayon embroidery thread; insert a bobbin with sewing thread to match. Attach Non-Stick Foot to sewing machine. Select zigzag stitch and adjust length and width for a narrow (3mm) satin stitch. Place scrap of Cut-A-Way light stabilizer behind letter and stitch in place using satin stitch. Cover all raw edges with stitching. Trim stabilizer on backside close to stitching.
6. Lay zipper wrong side up on flat surface. Place lining fabric right side down on top, alighting one short end of fabric with zipper tape as shown.
7. Thread machine with sewing thread to match vinyl fabric; inset matching bobbin. Select straight stitch. Attach zipper foot and adjust needle position to left of center.
8. Sew ¼” from cut edge to attach zipper to lining fabric. Fold fabric back over seam allowance and press using press cloth.
9. Move zipper foot to other side of ankle and adjust needle position to right of center. Adjust stitch length to 3mm. Place vinyl on top of lining fabric with wrong sides together so that monogram is at top. Raw edge should just cover stitching line on zipper tape. Topstitch vinyl to zipper tape.
10. Fold lining fabric in half, placing right sides together and matching cut edge with zipper tape. Right side of fabric will be against wrong side of zipper. Pin and unzip zipper.
11. Sew ¼” from cut edge to attach zipper to lining fabric. Fold fabric back over seam allowance and press using a press cloth.
12. Wrap vinyl around lining fabric, wrong sides together. Position cut edge along zipper so it covers previous stitching and topstitch in place. Close zipper and turn inside out so that vinyl is on inside and lining is facing out.
13. Flatten tube, creating a fold 1¼” above zipper. Double check that monogram is below zipper. Pin upper corners to secure. Fold 1½” to the back along bottom edge and pin to create a gusset that will give dimension to the case.
14. Unzip zipper half way before continuing. Attach standard presser foot or non-stick foot. Sew two side seams with ½” seam allowance. Back stitch at beginning and end of seam.
15. Trim zipper even with seam allowance and cut corners of seam allowance diagonally to reduce bulk. Turn case right side out through zipper opening.
Lamifix is water repellent and protects fabric from stains, making it great for the inside of our pencil case.
Activate needle down function if available on your machine. Needle will stop in the down position when you stop sewing, making it easy to turn corners or sew around curves.