Felt Seashell Collection
size: scallop, 2-1/2"x2-3/4"; starfish, 3-1/2"x3-1/2"; oyster, 2"x3-1/2"; sand dollar, 2-1/2"x2-3/4"
Felt Seashell Collection
- Wool-blend felt: yellow-beige, sand, opal, light pink, dark gray, light gray
- DMC Cotton Embroidery Floss: (317) Pewter Grey, (415) Pearl Grey, (3045) Yellow Beige-DK, (3774) Desert Sand-VY LT, (3799) Pewter Grey-VY DK, (3829) Old Gold-VY DK, (B5200) Snow White, Ecru
- Polyester fiberfill
- Embroidery needle
- Circle punch, 1/4”
- scissors, straight pins, ruler
Pattern - Felt Seashell Collection
- 1. Use two strands of floss to embroider details and hand-sew pieces together. Assemble seashells using running stitch, placing stitches 1/8" from edges.
- 1. Print out full-size patterns. Cut shapes from felt. For starfish, cut front from yellow-beige and back from sand. For scallop, cut front from sand and back from light pink. For sand dollar, cut two from opal. For oyster, cut A (front) from dark gray, B from light gray, C from opal, and 1"x1" square from opal. Cut out small rectangular slot on both sand dollar pieces. Punch hole in sand dollar back using circle punch.
- 2. Embroider details on seashells using two strands of floss. For starfish, complete French knots on front piece using 3829 Old Gold-VY DK and straight stitch on back using Ecru. For sand dollar, straight stitch and backstitch details on both pieces using White. Whipstitch around circular opening on back of sand dollar using White. For scallop, stitch alternating split stitch lines on front using 3045 Yellow Beige-DK and 3774 Desert Sand-VY LT and split stitch lines on back using 3774 Desert Sand-VY LT. For oyster, alternate split stitch bands on front using 317 Pewter Grey, 415 Pearl Grey, and 3799 Pewter Grey-VY DK.
- 3. For starfish, pin front and back pieces together with wrong sides facing. Hand-sew around edges using running stitch and Ecru, leaving small opening. Turn right side out. Stuff with fiberfill; hand-sew opening closed.
- 4. For sand dollar, pin opal felt square to wrong side of back of sand dollar, covering circular opening. Backstitch around whipstitched lines surrounding opening, stitching through sand dollar back and felt square using White. Pin front and back pieces together with wrong sides facing; hand-sew around edges using White floss leaving small opening. Turn right side out. Stuff with fiberfill; hand-sew opening closed.
- 5. For scallop, pin front and back pieces together with wrong sides facing; hand-sew around edges beginning and ending at points marked on pattern using 3774 Desert Sand-VY LT. (Note: The edges at base of shell are not sewn together.) Pinch base of shell together to make pleat on inside of shell. Using same-color floss, thread needle through two points indicated on pattern; make several stitches and pull tight, hiding knots between felt layers. Hand-sew running stitches between points marked on pattern using same-color floss. Pull thread gently to gather top of shell, concealing knot between felt layers. (Note: Fiberfill is not added to scallop.)
- 6. For oyster, pin C to B and hand-sew together using White. Pin B to A and hand-sew together using 3799 Pewter Gray-VY DK. Follow same process in Step 5 to gather oyster using 3799 Pewter Gray-VY DK. Gather bottom of oyster using running stitches between arrows marked on pattern. (Note: Fiberfill is not added to oyster.)