Recycled Jeans Apron
- Recycled pair of jeans
- Medium-weight cotton fabric, 3/4 yd.
- Grosgrain ribbon, 7/8”
- Flat buttons, 7/8”, two
- Coordinating piping, 1-1/8 yds.
- Sewing machine and matching thread
- 1. Cut jeans symmetrically on both sides of zipper (jeans back is front of apron). Cut jeans 12" from top edge.
- 2. Cut two 2"x12-1/2" fabric strips. Fold one short side of both strips over 1/2" to wrong side. Fold strips in half lengthwise with right sides facing out. Open up strips, then fold each long edge in toward center. Sew strips to back sides of jeans to bind side edges (raw edge of binding should be at bottom of jeans).
- 3. For ruffle, cut 6"x(bottom length of jeans plus 11") strip from fabric (piece fabric as needed). Fold side and bottom edges of ruffle over 1/4" to wrong side twice. Sew along folded edges. Sew basting stitch along top edge of ruffle. Pull basting stitches to gather, making length same as bottom of jeans. Sew top of ruffle to bottom of jeans. Sew zigzag stitch along raw edge of ruffle to prevent unraveling.
- 4. For bib, cut two 13" squares. Sew piping 1/2" from side and top edges of one square on right side of fabric; clip corners. Sew fabric squares together with right sides facing along piping stitching. Trim top corners of squares; turn right side out. Sew zigzag stitch along bottom of assembled square to prevent raw edges from unraveling. Sew bottom of bib to top back of jeans at center front.
- 5. Fold top corners of bib diagonally over to front. Cut ribbon long enough to fit around neck from folded corners. Place ribbon ends inside corners and sew buttons on top of corners to secure ribbon.
- 6. Thread ribbon through belt loops, leaving 22" of ribbon at both ends of jeans for apron ties. Sew ribbon to waistband edge to secure.
- 1. Sew all seams with right sides together, using 1/2" seam allowance, pinning and pressing as needed. To make half apron, follow same instructions, eliminating directions for bib.