Stitch this cheerful bunny quilt to use as a wall hanging or small table runner this Easter season. This design also makes a great decoration for a baby's nursery or toddler's room.
- Assorted cotton fabrics: medium blue (center panel), 3/8 yd.; lt. blue (inner border, binding), 3/8 yd.; white/blue dot (outer border), 1/4 yd.; white (backing), 1/2 yd.; scraps: neutral (bunny); pinks (tulips, corners), four; greens (leaves, corners), eight; lt. brown (bird)
- Warm & White Needled Cotton Batting
- Lt. green grosgrain ribbon, 3/8”, 1 yd.
- Perle cotton, #12: white; black
- White two-hole button, 7/8”
- Americana Acrylic Paint: Raspberry
- Rotary cutter and cutting mat
- Needles: embroidery; sewing
- Lucite ruler
- Straight pins
- Sewing machine and matching threads
- Iron and pressing board
Pattern - Bunny Quilt
- 1. Size is 16"x30".
- 1. Sew all seams with right sides together, using 1/4" seam allowance, pinning and pressing as needed. Use one strand black perle cotton for all embroidery unless otherwise specified.
- Bunny Quilt
- 1. Cut: 10-1/2"x24-1/2" med. blue rectangle; two 1-1/2"x24-1/2" strips and two 1-1/2"x12-1/2" strips from lt. blue; two 2-1/2"x26-1/2" strips and two 2-1/2"x12-1/2" strips from white/blue dot; two 1-1/2" squares from each pink fabric; 1-1/2" square from each green fabric. Print and cut out pattern. Cut four tulips from pink fabrics, eight leaves from green fabrics, bird from brown fabric, and bunny from neutral fabric.
- 2. Drybrush bunny's cheeks Raspberry.
- 3. Sew: long 1-1/2" blue strips to long sides of center panel; short 1-1/2" blue strips to short sides of center panel; 2-1/2" dot strips to long sides of blue border; pink square to each of the green squares; pairs of pink and green squares together, alternating colors, forming four 2-1/2" blocks (sew same color pink squares together for each block). Sew assembled squares symmetrically to ends of short 2-1/2" dot strips, then sew strips to short sides of blue border. Fabric piecing for quilt top is complete.
- 4. Pin bunny, tulip, leaf, and bird appliqué pieces, along with ribbon pieces (for flower stems) to center panel, using photo as guide. (Note: Vary heights of leaves and flowers.)
- 5. Sew small running stitch 1/8" from edges of appliqué pieces and through center of ribbon with black perle cotton. Rub edges of appliqué pieces to separate threads. Transfer details to bunny and bird. Backstitch bird legs and bunny muzzle. Make French knots on bird and bunny eye dots, wrapping thread around needle once for each knot.
- 6. Cut pieces from batting and backing fabric 1" larger than quilt on all sides. Sandwich batting between quilt back and front with right sides facing out.
- 7. Use white perle cotton to hand quilt bunny's whiskers, center of blue border, and center of leaves. Trim batting and backing even with quilt top.
- 8. To bind long edges of quilt, cut two 2" strips from binding fabric to same length as quilt sides. Sew strips to front of quilt, 1/2" from raw edges with right sides facing. Fold strips over to back side and turn edges under 1/2". Hand sew turned edges to back of quilt.
- 9. Use white perle cotton to sew button to bottom right side of bunny, knotting thread ends on back of quilt.
- 10. To bind short edges of quilt, cut two 2" strips to same length as quilt sides, adding 1". Sew strips to quilt in same way as long edges, leaving 1/2" extending at ends. Turn ends inside binding before stitching.
- 1. Quilting is optional when using batting because it doesn't require stitching to hold it together.