Pattern - Nativity Quilt Ornament
- 1. For quilt front and back, cut two 3-1/4"x5-1/4" rectangles from lt. brown fabric.
- 2. Print and cut out patterns. Cut pieces from iron-on adhesive slightly larger than Mary, Joseph, manger, baby's blanket, and halo. Follow manufacturer's instructions to fuse adhesive to back of homespun fabrics (blue for Mary, green for Joseph, grey for manger, white for blanket, and yellow for halo). Cut shapes from fused fabrics, cutting 3/4" circle for halo, and bottom of blanket along dashed lines. (Note: Cut Mary's and Joseph's robes and headdresses in one piece.)
- 3. Adhere 1"x2" stripe to back of flesh fabric. For faces, cut two 5/8" circles (Mary and Joseph) and 1/2" circle (baby) from fused fabric.
- 4. Fuse fabric pieces to one brown fabric rectangle as shown on pattern. Blanket stitch around outside edges of pieces and details on Mary and Joseph, except bottom edges. Transfer manger details; stem stitch.
- 5. Baste 3-1/4"x5-1/4" batting rectangles to back of ornament front. Sew rectangles together with right sides facing, 1/4" from edges, leaving 3" opening on one side for turning. Trim corners; turn quilt right side out. Hand sew opening closed.
- 6. Use one strand pearl cotton to whip stitch jute around quilt edges.
- 7. Sew long edges of ribbon to center top back of quilt, leaving short ends open for wire casing. Insert 8" wire length through casing and bend ends into loops.
- 8. For hanger, insert ends of 7" wire length through wire loops on ornament; bend ends into tight loops to secure.
- 9. Paint star button Antique Gold; let dry. Sand edges to distress. Use pearl cotton to sew button to quilt.