Burlap & Wood Nativity Ornament
- Wooden items: square dowel, 1/2”, 6: length; doll pins, three; Woodsies circle, 3/4”
- Brown burlap
- Natural homespun fabric
- Hemp cord
- Silver wire, 18-gauge
- Silver jump rings, 7mm, two
- Silver head pin, 2” long
- Assorted natural and crystal beads, three
- Paper Finishes spray paint: Polished Chrome
- Fabric glue
- Wood saw
- Electric drill with 1/16” bit
- Round-nose pliers
- 1. Cut doll pins for nativity: 2-1/2" from rounded top for Joseph; 2-1/4" from top for Mary; 1-3/4" from top for baby Jesus. Drill holes in dowel, 3/8" from ends.
- 2. For Joseph, cut 1-3/4"x2-1/2" rectangle from burlap; glue around body, overlapping ends in back. Cut 1"x2" rectangle from homespun fabric; glue to head. Wrap hemp cord around headdress; knot ends in back.
- 3. For Mary, cut 1-1/2"x2-1/2" rectangle from burlap; glue around body, overlapping ends in back. Cut 1/2"x4" rectangle from homespun fabric; glue around head and upper body. Wrap hemp cord around neck; knot ends in back.
- 4. For baby Jesus, spray paint wooden circle (halo). Glue halo to back of head. Cut 2-1/2"x3-1/2" rectangle from homespun fabric for blanket. Wrap and glue blanket around baby. Wrap hemp cord around blanket several times; knot ends on bottom.
- 5. Cut 2"x2-1/2" rectangle from brown burlap for manger. Pull out burlap strands around edges. Glue baby in manger.
- 6. Insert 13" length wire ends through holes in dowel; bend ends into small loops. Shape wire over dowel.
- 7. Glue manger with baby in center of square dowel. Glue Mary and Joseph on both sides of baby.
- 8. Place beads on head pin and bend excess wire at top of head pin until it touches top of last bead. Attach jump ring to loop at top of head pin. Attach second jump ring to first ring and wire over nativity.
- 9. For hanger, bend one end of 14" wire length into large loop. Insert remaining wire end through hump ring attached to wire over nativity, and bend into small loop to secure.