- Coordinating cotton print fabrics: one for front cover, 3/8 yd.; six more for pockets, 1/4 yd.
- Natural linen fabric, 3/8 yd.
- Wool felt scraps to coordinate with fabrics, three
- Black cotton velveteen scrap
- Black piping, 1-1/2 yds.
- Vintage lace scraps, three
- Coordinating satin ribbon, 7/8”, 1 yd.
- Buttons: white flat, 9/16”; gold with shank, 5/8”
- Black perle cotton, #8
- Coordinating embroidery floss colors
- Warm & White needled cotton batting (The Warm Co.)
- Needles: sewing; embroidery
- Sewing machine and matching thread
- 1. Cut a 9"x16" rectangle from linen, front cover fabric and batting. Cut a 5"x9" rectangle from two of the print fabrics. Cut a 7"x9" rectangle from two more print fabrics. Cut a 9"x9" square from two more print fabrics.
- 2. Press fabric rectangles/squares in half lengthwise with right sides facing out for pockets. Pin pockets to short ends of linen rectangle, stacking them from largest to smallest, placing raw edges even with linen rectangle. Baste around linen rectangle 1/4" from edges to temporarily secure pockets.
- 3. Cut two 2-1/2"x3" rectangles and one 2"x3" rectangle from felt scraps for center pockets. Baste lace across edges of pockets that will be open. Embroider assorted stitches around lace, using three strands of coordinating floss colors (French knots, single feather stitch, stem stitch and lazy daisy stitch were used on sample project). Pin pockets to center of linen rectangle, using photo of sample project as a guide for placement. Embroider blanket stitch around side and bottom edges of pockets, using one strand of perle cotton.
- 4. To make pin cushion, cut a 2-3/4" square from velveteen and linen fabrics. Sew squares together with right sides facing, leaving a 1-1/2" opening on one side for turning. Trim seam at corners. Turn right side out. Hand sew opening closed. Sew shank button to center of cushion attaching it to linen rectangle opposite scissor pocket.
- 5. Sew piping around linen rectangle 3/8" from edge. Baste batting to back of front cover rectangle. Sew front cover and linen rectangles together with right sides facing along piping stitching, leaving 4" open along one side for turning. Trim seam at corners. Turn right side out. Hand sew opening closed.
- 6. Sew button to ribbon centered at top of front cover, leaving 11" of ribbon extending above button and the remainder under button. Fold case in thirds with top end showing in front. Wrap long end of ribbon around back of case, over to front, and tie into a bow.