Flea Market Flag Footstool
- Wool felt: light blue; dark blue; dark red; offwhite
- Assorted white two-hole buttons, 7/8”
- 6-strand embroidery floss (several skeins of each): dark blue; dark red; off-white
- Americana Acrylic Paint (DecoArt): Warm White
- Circle template
- Embroidery needle
- Staple gun
- Fabri-Tac Permanent Adhesive (Beacon Adhesives)
- 1. Cut rectangle from light blue felt to fit over top of footstool, adding 1-1/2" to 2" to each side to wrap around bottom. Cut 1-3/4" circles from dark blue, red, and off-white felt. (Note: Amount of circles depends upon size of light blue felt rectangle.) Pin or glue circles in rows on light blue felt, placing dark blue circles in upper left, and placing red and white circles in rows, alternating colors for strips. (Note: Do not place circles in area that will be folded under stool.)
- 2. Blanket stitch around edges of felt circles with loops pointing outward, using the following colors: off-white around blue circles; dark blue around red circles; red around off-white circles.
- 3. Sew buttons to center of dark blue circles, using six strands of red floss, making stitches look like stars.
- 4. Paint legs Warm White. Let dry and sand for a distressed look.
- 5. Wrap finished light blue flag rectangle over top of footstool with right side facing out. Turn footstool upside down. Staple edges of felt rectangle to bottom of footstool. Felt should be taut over stool.
- 1. If footstool has a flat wood top, cut a piece of foam to same size as top. Glue foam to top of footstool before beginning project. 1-3/4" circles felt circles were used for this project, but any size may be used. Use small dab of glue under felt circles to attach them temporarily until they are embroidered. Use three strands of floss for all embroidery.
- Covering a Footstool
- 1. For best results, staple center of each side first, then staple from center over to corners of each side, pulling tightly on felt as you go. Make a neat tuck on sides of stool at corners, then staple felt corners to bottom of stool.