Dyed Floral Apron
- Dunroven House Plain Weave Red Dishtowel (K360-R), 20”x28”
- Fabric: white muslin, 1/2 yd.; script print white cotton, 1/4 yd.
- Blumenthal Lansing Bliss Sew-Thru Faux Crystal Buttons, four
- Black satin ribbon, 7/8”-wide, 20” length
- Sewing thread: black, off-white
- Sizzix Big Shot Die-Cutting Machine and Dies: Bigz Flower Layers #5, Originals Leaves and Vines
- Sewing machine and matching thread
- Rit Liquid Dyes: Aquamarine, Apple Green, Fuchsia, Tangerine
- Pellon Wonder Under Fusible Webbing
- scissors, latex gloves, plastic tablecloth, small mixing containers, measuring spoons and cups, tongs, mixing spoon, old towel, iron and pressing surface, straight pins, sewing needle
- 1. Machine wash and dry towel to remove finishing.
- 2. Wearing gloves, thoroughly mix dyes in separate plastic containers with hot water as follows: 3 Tbsp. Aquamarine with 1 cup hot water (for towel); 1-1/2 Tbsp. Apple Green with 1/2 cup hot water (for 1/4 yd. muslin); 1-1/2 Tbsp. Tangerine with 1 cup hot water (for 1/4 yd. muslin); 1-1/2 Tbsp. Fuchsia with 1/2 cup water (for 1/4 yd. print fabric). Completely submerge fabrics in dye baths. Remove fabrics from bath with tongs; rinse with cool water. Hand squeeze; sandwich fabrics separately in old towel to remove excess water and dye. Hang to dry.
- 3. Press fabrics when dry. Follow manufacturer's instructions to fuse webbing to one side of muslin and print fabrics. For apron, fold long side of towel 4" toward back; press then pin in place.
- 4. Die cut several flower layers, vines, and flower center circles from fused fabric. Peel backing off appliqués and position on apron front. Fuse appliqués to apron using iron and pressing surface.
- 5. Freeform machine-sew appliqués into place using black thread. Knot and clip thread ends.
- 6. Machine-sew across apron and along sides to secure folded edge in place using off-white thread. Cut ribbon in half; machine-sew each end on back edges of apron for ties. Knot and clip thread ends.
- 7. Hand-sew buttons onto flower centers using needle and thread. Knot and clip thread ends.