Fall into fashion with a stitched autumn leaf-embellished skirt. You can choose a new skirt or spruce up one in your closet that needs a little something extra. Either way, you'll have an updated item to wear this season!
- Solid cotton fabric, assorted colors, 1/4 yd. each
- Brown all-purpose thread, or contrasting color of choice
- VIVO by SINGER Create & Repair Machine
- Die-cutting machine and leaf die (optional)
- Fabric marking tool
- 1. Freehand draw or locate leaf pattern. Determine desired number of final leaf shapes for shirt. Cut 3-4 leaves for each leaf shape from cotton fabrics. (Note: If die-cutting machine is available, leaves can be die cut from fabric.)
- 2. Group leaves in stacks of 3 or 4, layering colors. Pin together.
- 3. Using fabric marking tool, draw vein lines on top leaf in each stack.
- 4. Set VIVO by SINGER Create & Repair Machine for straight stitch.
- 5. Thread top of machine and bobbin with brown all-purpose thread or with color that contrasts fabric.
- 6. Carefully stitch veins into stack of leaves. To turn, stop sewing with the needle down in the fabric, lift the presser foot and rotate fabric to the new direction, and lower the presser foot before beginning to sew. The presser foot will help you guide the fabric evenly while stitching. Sew slowly for better control when guiding the fabric while stitching.
- 7. Backstitch at the beginning and end of the stitching to help secure the thread in place. (Note: Backstitching secures the machine stitching so the threads do not become loose and pull out. It is done by reversing a few stitches on top of or just next to those machine stitches at the beginning or end of a line of machine sewing. To backstitch, position needle about 1/2" from top edge of fabric. Stitch in reverse almost to the raw edge. Change to forward and stitch to the end of the fabric. Reverse and backstitch about 1/2".)
- 8. Wash and dry leaves to add distressed details
- 9. Pin distressed leaves in place on skirt.
- 10. Using technique mentioned in Steps 6 and 7, stitch leaves in place following vein lines.
- 11. Trim threads. Enjoy your fabulous new skirt!
- 1. To learn more about the VIVO by SINGER Create & Repair Machine, view a video at youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ix5uvls5ND8 for details and other helpful basic sewing information.