Elegant Piped Pillow
Elegant Piped Pillow
- Damask print cotton fabric, 1/2 yd.
- Muslin, 1/2 yd.
- White piping, one package
- Fairfield Poly-fil Soft Touch Pillow Insert, 12”x20”
- Polyform Sculpey Premo! Accents Silver Clay
- Sewing machine and thread
- Martha Stewart Crafts Fleur De Lis Punch (426327)
- Loew-Cornell La Corneille Paintbrushes: Golden Taklon Series 7000C Round #3, 10; Series 7300C Shader, #2, 6
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic Paints: Sea Glass, Burnt Umber
- DecoArt Americana: Glazing Medium, Duraclear Satin Varnish
- Clay-dedicated rolling pin, parchment-lined baking sheet, and oven
- scissors, craft knife, circle templates, plastic fork, plastic straw, newspaper (to cover work surface), straight pins, needle and thread, measuring tape
- 1. On clean work surface, remove clay from packages and condition separately in hands until pliable. Roll Silver clay on parchment-lined baking sheet. Cut out three 1-1/2" circles. Use fork to make small indentations on edges. Press Fleur de Lis punch on center. Use straw to poke two holes on center. Follow manufacturer's instructions to bake buttons in oven. Let cool.
- 2. On covered work surface, paint buttons Sea Glass using #10 round. Let dry. Mix (1:1) mixture Burnt Umber + Glazing Medium; use #2 shader to paint mixture into small indentations on edges of buttons and #6 shader to stroke mixture on center of button. Let set for one minute; wipe excess using damp cloth. Let dry. Use #10 round to apply varnish on buttons. Let dry.
- 3. From cotton fabric and muslin, cut 13"x21" (pillow back), 12"x21" (pillow front bottom), and 11"x21" (pillow front top). Baste matching muslin piece onto wrong side of each pillow piece for stability.
- 4. Position 11"x21" pillow front top on work surface and fold one 21" side over 1/2", and then fold over 1/2" again. Press. Stitch to finish along edge.
- 5. Mark buttonholes according to diagram. Stitch buttonholes by using tight zigzag stitch.
- 6. Position pillow back on work surface and secure piping with pins around outside edge, matching selvages. Place pillow front top on top edge of pillow back with right sides together. Pin in place. Position pillow front bottom and place right sides together matching selvages. Secure with pins.
- 7. Using either piping foot or zipper foot, stitch around edge of pillow close to piping edge but not stitching through piping. Clip corners and turn right side out.
- 8. Mark appropriate placement of clay buttons by aligning center of buttonhole. Hand sew buttons into place. Insert pillow into pillow cover and secure buttons closed.