Whimsical Flower Pillow
Add some summer charm to your patio or porch décor with this soft and cheery floral pillow. Combined with a refreshing glass of lemonade, this comfy pillow is the perfect way to relax on a hot summer day.
Whimsical Flower Pillow
- National Nonwovens Wool Felt: Natural, 1/3 yd.; Blushing Bride, 1/2 yd.; English Rose, 1/8 yd.
- Pink floral print cotton fabrics: large floral (borders), 1/4 yd.; coordinating print, scraps, four
- Fiberfill stuffing
- Pink rick rack
- Buttons, two
- Embroidery floss
- Sewing machine and matching thread
- Sewing needle and button thread
- Iron and pressing board
- Decorative-edge scissors
- Disappearing ink marker
- Beacon Adhesives Fabri-Tac Permanent Adhesive
Pattern - Whimsical Flower Pillow
- 1. Cut 10" square from Natural wool felt.
- 2. Cut two 2-1/2"x10" and two 2-1/2"x15" strips from floral fabric. With right sides together and using 1/4" seam allowance, machine-sew shorter strips to top and bottom of 10" Natural square, trimming strips even. With right sides together and using 1/4" seam allowance, machine-sew remaining strips to sides of sewn panel, trimming strips even. Press seams.
- 3. Cut backing square from Blushing Bride wool felt to same size as pillow front.
- 4. With right sides together and using 1/4" seam allowance, machine-sew front and back squares together, leaving a 3" opening. Trim seam allowance and turn pillow right side out. Stuff pillow with fiberfill.
- 5. Use button thread to whipstitch opening closed.
- 6. Print out patterns. Using two fabrics, with wrong sides together, trace one large flower onto fabric with disappearing ink marker. Repeat with small flower. Machine-sew on traced line of each flower. Using scissors, cut very close to stitching outside of traced line, being careful not to cut thread. Flowers should have a frayed edge.
- 7. Trace yo-yo pattern onto fabric. Use button thread to sew a running stitch very close to raw edge of fabric. Pull gathers tight; knot and clip thread. Create two yo-yo's. Use floss to sew buttons to yo-yo centers, knotting on front of button.
- 8. Use decorative-edge scissors to cut 1/2"-wide strips (stems) from wool felt. Trace and cut leaves from wool felt.
- 9. Arrange flowers, stems and leaves onto pillow, trimming stems to desired lengths; adhere to pillow.
- 10. Adhere rick rack trim to pillow as shown.