1. Print out pattern. Cut out pattern and pin to green cotton fabric. Cut out shamrock, cutting 1/4" beyond pattern edges. See Photo 1.
2. Clip small 1/8"-long notches into edges of fabric shamrock so fabric will turn without stretching or puckering. Pin or adhere shamrock to center of medium linen square; if using glue, keep adhesive away from edges of shamrock. Place linen square into embroidery hoop. With needle and thread, sew small stitches around fabric shamrock to secure it to linen. Turn appliqué edges under as you sew. See Photo 2.
3. Continue turning and stitching shamrock edges until design is complete; see Photo 3. Remove fabric from embroidery hoop.
4. With wrong sides facing, pin appliquéd square to center of light linen backing square. Machine- or hand-stitch around edge of appliquéd square to secure linen layers. See Photo 4.
5. Trim backing fabric corners at an angle; fold and iron edges forward to make border around appliquéd square. Miter corners and pin to secure. See Photo 5.
6. Hand-sew border to front of appliquéd square. See Photo 6.
1. Enlarge dimensions to create a shamrock-embellished linen table runner or door banner.