Mom’s Mug Rug
Mom’s Mug Rug
- Cotton fabrics: gold (top), 6-1/2”x10”; purple (back and binding), 8-1/2”x12”, 2-3/4”x44”; scraps
- Interfacing fleece, 8-1/2”x12”
- Sewing machine and matching thread
- Adhesives: Therm O Web HeatnBond Lite Iron-On Adhesive, 1/8 yd.; fabric glue
- scissors, pins, needles, pencil, cardstock, iron and pressing surface, cutting mat, ruler, rotary cutter (optional)
Pattern - Mom's Mug Rug
- 1. Print out patterns onto cardstock. Cut out patterns. Trace patterns onto paper side of fusible webbing. Follow manufacturer's instructions to fuse wrong side of fabric scraps onto iron-on adhesive. Cut out fused appliqué pieces on traced lines; remove paper backing.
- 2. With right side of gold front piece facing up, arrange appliqué pieces using photo as guide. (Note: It is important to remember that binding will take 3/8" of space along each edge.) Position appliqués 3/4" from each edge with adhesive side of appliqué facing fabric. Fuse in place using iron.
- 3. Center front piece, with right side facing up, on top of fleece interfacing. Baste stitch in place using needle and thread.
- 4. Machine-sew around edges of each appliqué piece using matching thread stitching through top and fleece. Remove basting stitches. Apply fabric glue onto back side of stitching to secure ends.
- 5. Position purple back piece, with wrong side facing up, on work surface. Center appliquéd/fleece top piece on back piece. Baste stitch in place using needle and thread. Use rotary cutter to cut fleece and backing pieces same size as top piece.
- 6. Fold purple binding strip in half lengthwise; press. Fold one end under 1/4" to wrong side; press. Fold back up and press end again. Beginning on center front along bottom edge of mug rug and using edge ironed in at 1/4", pin binding to mug rug with raw edges of binding even with raw edges of mug rug. Machine-sew in place using 3/8" seam allowance, beginning at folded end of binding and stopping 3/8" from corner. Remove from machine.
- 7. Flip binding piece down forming fold at 45º angle. Bring binding back down so fold in binding is even with raw edge on bottom. (Note: Raw edges of binding should be even with raw edges of mug rug.) Secure with pins; machine-sew in place as before, stopping 3/8" from end. Repeat process to sew remaining corners.
- 8. Trim excess threads and remove basting stitches. Flip folded edges of binding to back of mug rug; pin in place. Hand-sew binding to backing. Knot ends.
- 1. Interfacing fleece is easiest to use when you machine appliqué. It is smoother than polyester batting and shifts less often.