Diaper & Changing Pad Clutch
sizes: purse, 10"x6"; changing pad, 12"x18"
- Canvas fabric, 1/3 yd. each: red/white polka dot, blue floral print
- Terry cloth, 1/3 yd.
- Multi-color striped bias tape, 2 yds.
- Heavy-duty snap fasteners, two
- Sewing machine and matching thread
- Hammer and hammer tool
- Therm O Web HeatnBond Clear Iron-On Vinyl
- scissors, ruler, fabric pen, iron and pressing surface
- 1. For purse body, cut 12"x12" from blue floral print fabric. For purse flap, cut 7"x10" from blue floral print fabric and 7"x10" from red/white polka dot fabric. Cut curved flap shape along one edge. For strap, cut 3"x14" from blue floral print fabric. For changing pad, cut 12"x18" from red/white polka dot fabric and from terry cloth fabric; round corners as desired using scissors.
- 2. Follow manufacturer's instructions to apply iron-on vinyl to all fabrics, except for strap, terry cloth changing pad, and red/white polka dot flap. (Note: Vinyl side of fabric is now right side of fabric.)
- 3. Machine-sew flap pieces together, with right sides facing, leaving long straight edge open. Trim edges and turn right side out. Press. Machine topstitch 1/8" from turned edge.
- 4. With right sides facing, center flap on one edge of purse body; machine-sew using 1/4" seam allowance. Apply bias tape along edge to cover seams; repeat on opposite side.
- 5. Fold body of purse in half to match edges with right sides facing; sew each side closed. On each corner at bottom of purse, fold to match seam and bottom center. Measure 1" from corner point; mark line and sew on line to create purse depth. Turn purse right side out.
- 6. For strap, press 1/2" in on either side of strip; press in half matching previously-pressed edges. Machine topstitch along edges. Fold strip in half at center; machine-sew folded end to inside of purse on one side.
- 7. Use hammer tool and hammer to attach snaps on purse flap along center bottom edge and on center bottom of purse body. Attach snap fasteners about 1/2" from each end on strap.
- 8. For changing pad, with wrong sides facing, baste terry cloth to red/white polka dot fabric. Machine-sew bias tape around edges to finish.
- 1. Hold on to your backing paper to use as a pressing cloth to avoid scorching vinyl. If vinyl appears to separate from fabric when you turn your pieces right side out, just press again with iron.