Simple-to-Sew Party Purse
While this party purse is a perfect going-out companion, it's also a great space saver for everyday use. Why not make one to take along to your next local craft show?
- Fabrics of choice, 45”-wide: outside, 1/6 yd.; coordinating lining, 1/3 yd.
- Binding or ribbon in coordinating color, 46" length
- Hook-and-loop tape, 5” length
- Cording, coordinating color, 1/16”-1/4” diameter, 54" length
- Sewing machine and matching thread
- Iron and pressing surface
- scissors, pencil, ruler, straight pins
- 1. Size is 5-1/2"x7-1/2".
- 1. Use 1/4" seam allowance unless otherwise indicated.
- 1. For inside lining, cut 5-1/2"x17" rectangle from lining fabric. Separate hook-and-loop tape; center and sew one side of tape to right side of fabric, 1/2" from one short end.
- 2. For back pockets on top half of purse, cut 5-1/2"x10-1/2" rectangle from lining fabric. For top hem, fold one end under 1/4"; press. Repeat. Sew hem in place. Repeat for bottom hem, but fold fabric over instead of under. (See Fig. 1.) Fold fabric so back of fabric measures 7-1/4" and front of fabric measures 2-1/4"; press fold. Sew a very narrow hem along folded edge. (See Fig. 2.) Pin side edges of back pockets to side edges of inside lining so top back pocket is 2" from top of inside lining.
- 3. For top pockets on top half of purse, cut 5-1/2"x9-3/4" rectangle from outside fabric or lining fabric. In same way as back pocket, fold and sew hems; fold fabric so back of fabric measures 5" and front of fabric measures 3-3/4". Press fold. (See Fig. 3.) Sew across pocket, 1" from folded edge. Pin side edges of top pockets to side edges of inside lining so top of pocket is 2-3/4" from top of inside lining.
- 4. Sew sides of back and top pockets to sides of inside lining.
- 5. For bottom pockets on bottom half of purse, cut 5-1/2"x10-1/2" rectangle from lining fabric. In same way as back and top pockets, fold and sew hems; fold fabric so back of fabric measures 6-1/4" and front of fabric measures 3-1/4". Press fold. Pin side edges of bottom pockets to side edges of inside lining so fold of pocket aligns with bottom edge of inside lining. Sew sides and bottom of pockets to inside lining.
- 6. For outside of purse, cut 5-1/2"x17" rectangle from fabric.
- 7. Place outside fabric right side up on work surface. Center and sew second side of hook-and-loop tape to outside fabric, 1/2" from one short end.
- 8. For strap, pin ends of cording to each side of inside lining, 2" from top. With wrong sides facing, sew inside lining to outside fabric, catching strap in stitching.
- 9. Beginning and ending at center bottom of purse, sew binding or ribbon along all edges of purse, folding corners in to meet on an angle. (See Fig. 4.) Fold purse.