May Day Pocket Full of Posies
Baskets of sweets or spring flowers mysteriously appear on doorsteps as the traditional custom for May Day, celebrated May 1. Use old blue jean pockets to create the perfect holder for your May Day flowers or treats, then secretly surprise your neighbors, family, and friends.
Pocket Full of Posies
- Old blue jeans with pockets
- Ribbon in color of choice, 3/8”, 18” length per pocket
- Miscellaneous scrap items: fabric, felt, buttons, pearls, ribbons, jewelry, etc.
- Silk flowers
- Fabric paint
- Needle and thread (optional)
- Adhesives: thick craft glue, glue gun and glue sticks
- scissors, ruler, pinking shears
- 1. Adult supervision is needed when using a glue gun.
- 1. To cut out pocket, use pinking shears to cut jeans approximately 3/8" from sides and bottom of pocket and 1-1/4" to 1-1/2" from top of pocket. See photo.
- 2. For hanging loop, adhere each end of 18" length ribbon to top corners of pocket. Adhere (or sew) buttons to top of each hanging loop end.
- 3. Referring to photo as guide, decorate front of pocket as desired using miscellaneous scraps and fabric paint. To create heart and butterfly shapes, refer to Figure 1.
- 4. Fill pocket with silk flowers.