Dad’s Favorite Shirt Place Mats
Shirt Place Mat
- Men’s button up dress shirt
- Adhesive-back fleece, 12”x18”
- Cotton print fabric, 18”x18”
- Sewing machine and matching thread
- scissors, ruler, pins, sewing needle
- 1. Cut 13"x19" piece from front and back of dress shirt. Cut collar off shirt and cut collar in half at back.
- 2. Iron fusible fleece to center of shirt front piece. Machine stitch shirt front closed following center shirt seam.
- 3. Press all cut edges of front and back under 1/2".
- 4. Arrange collar tips as desired at top on front of place mat; pin. Position place mat right side facing down; unfold pressed edge and sew along crease to secure collar. Trim away excess collar.
- 5. Pin front and back of place mat together, matching pressed edges. (Note: Collar points will point out and away from shirt front.) Sew around edges with 1/16" border.
- 6. Press collar back to desired location, tack collar in place as needed. If using a button-down collar, hand sew buttons in place.
- 7. Hem edges of cotton fabric square (napkin). Tie knot in top corner of napkin, leaving 3" tail. Tuck tail under collar.