When the crisp autumn wind starts to whirl, this Jack-O'-Laughter sweatshirt will keep you warm and let everyone know you're ready for a little Halloween fun! Use this same design to create a trick-or-treat bag or decorative door banner.
Closeup of Pumpkin
- Sweatshirt, adult size
- Cotton fabrics: burnt orange, 1/4 yd.; gold, 6” square; brown, 3” square
- Black pearl cotton
- Brown four-hole buttons, 5/8” diameter, two
- Embroidery needle
- Red fabric paint
- Large stencil brush
- Thermo O Web HeatnBond UltraHold Iron-On Adhesive
- scissors, tracing paper, pencil, ruler, iron and pressing surface
Pattern - Pumpkin Sweatshirt
- 1. Wash and dry all fabrics before beginning. Use photo and pumpkin pattern as placement and stitching guides throughout.
- Pumpkin Sweatshirt
- 1. Cut 3" square, 6" square, and 10"x12" rectangle from iron-on adhesive. Following manufacturer's instructions, fuse squares to wrong sides of gold and brown fabrics. Fuse rectangle to burnt orange fabric.
- 2. Print and cut out patterns along dashed lines; transfer nose to gold fused fabric, stem to brown, and pumpkin outline to burnt orange.
- 3. Position pumpkin and stem on sweatshirt with top of stem 2-3/4" below top edge of collar; fuse pumpkin and stem to sweatshirt. Fuse nose to pumpkin.
- 4. Use tracing paper and pumpkin pattern to transfer eyes, mouth, and line below stem to pumpkin. Drybrush cheeks red.
- 5. Using one strand pearl cotton, blanket stitch around pumpkin, stem, nose, and mouth. For eyes, sew buttons to pumpkin, crossing thread to make an "X" in each eye.
- 1. The secret to a professionally crafted look is the quality of fabric you choose for your pumpkin. Skip the sale table and opt instead for a textured print or heavyweight solid fabric for best results.