Pattern - Haunted House Tote Bag
- 1. Cut tote bag and straps from canvas fabric. See Diagram.
- 2. Print out patterns onto copy paper; cut out. Trace ghosts, door, and windows onto paper side of double-sided fusible webbing.
- 3. Follow manufacturer's instructions to fuse patterns onto wrong side of fabric scraps; cut out. Remove paper backing and position pattern pieces on front of tote bag. Fuse pieces to tote bag using iron. For chimney, fold ribbon length in half and insert between roof and bag before fusing.
- 4. Machine-sew around roof, securing chimney along top right. Machine-sew window pane lines on each window and mouth lines on each ghost using black thread. Machine blanket stitch around door edges. Knot and clip thread ends. Attach button on door (for doorknob). Knot and clip thread ends.
- 5. To create straps, fold and press 1/4" along long edge of right side and 3/4" along long edge on left side. Fold right side over 1/2", overlapping left side so finished strap width is 1-1/2". Machine-sew along each side of strap. Repeat process for other strap.
- 6. Fold bag with right sides together. Machine-sew along side seams using 3/8" seam allowance.
- 7. To create mitered corners, match side seam to bottom seam; fold. With ruler, draw line 2" from point. Machine-sew across line. Trim and clip corners; turn right side out and press.
- 8. For top hem, fold over top edge 1/4" and again 1"; pin in place. Mark center of bag and position straps 2" away from each side. Slide straps under hemline. Turn strap up and stitch hem closed with 1" margin. For extra reinforcement, machine-sew "X" and square across each strap. Knot and clip threads.
- 9. Press bag to create crease lines along sides and bottom. For extra definition and reinforcement, machine-sew around all creased seams, sides, and bottom.
- 1. Reducing stitch length and width in Step 4 is recommended due to the curved shape of the door.