Pattern - Hand-Dyed Cottage
- 1. Print out full-size patterns. Trace and cut two roof shapes from muslin. Use rotary cutter and mat to cut two 7"x8" (house walls), 2"x26" strip (roof trim), and 4"x7" (door) from muslin.
- 2. Create polka dots by dotting glue on roof pieces using CraftBond glue. Let dry. Fold 7"x8" rectangles accordion style; accordion fold each long strip into small rectangle. Secure rectangles with paper clips.
- 3. Cover work surface with plastic tablecloth. Wearing rubber gloves, prepare dye baths by boiling water to reach 140ºF. Use measuring cup to mix 1/2 cup hot water with 2 Tbsp. Dark Cocoa dye. Mix well in container with spoon. Place roof pieces into dye bath. Let set for 10 minutes. Remove from dye bath and squeeze out excess dye. Place roof pieces between towels to remove excess dye and water.
- 4. Prepare dye baths as in Step 3 as follows: 1/2 cup hot water with 2 Tbsp. Cherry Red dye with door pattern, 1/2 cup hot water with 1 Tbsp. Tan dye with roof trim, and 1/2 cup hot water with 3 Tbsp. of Apple dye for house walls. Repeat process to remove excess dyes and water. Let dry on paper towels.
- 5. Remove paper clips from Apple Green strip and unfold. Peel glue from roof pieces with fingers. Let all pieces dry thoroughly. Press with iron. Follow manufacturer's instructions to fuse webbing to Cherry Red door; trim to 2"x3". Fuse door to front of Apple Green wall.
- 6. Thread sewing needle with matching thread and attach bead onto door (for door knob).
- 7. Place right sides together for roof pieces. Machine-sew along edges using 1/2" seam allowance. Leave small opening for turning and stuffing. Steam seams open and turn right side out. Stuff lightly; hand-sew opening closed using whipstitch. Hand-sew bottom of wall pieces together using whipstitch. Pin roof and house pieces together; hand-sew together using straight stitch. Knife pleat roof trim using straight stitch; wrap around seam between house and roof and cut off excess. Adhere in place using fabric glue.
- 8. Cut 2"x3" piece of muslin. Stamp sentiment of choice on center. Fork end with scissors. Straight stitch around edges using sewing machine and thread. Pin sentiment onto door using vintage brooch. Loop and adhere 6" strip of tan fabric on back of roof for hanger. Let dry.