Canvas duck or similar weight fabric, 9-1/2”x8-1/2”, two
Floral print fabric, 6”x6”
Off-white zipper, 7”
The Crafter’s Workshop Art Is Stencil (TCW261)
Sewing machine, zipper foot attachment, and matching thread
Black acrylic paint
Fusible webbing, 1/4 yd.
scissors, ruler, pencil, pins, stencil brush, paper towels, iron and pressing surface, newspaper (to cover work surface)
1. On covered work surface, load stencil brush with black acrylic paint. Dab onto paper towel to remove some paint.
2. Position stencil 1" down and 1-1/2" from side of canvas fabric. Pounce loaded stencil brush onto stencil until design is covered in paint. Carefully remove stencil to reveal image. Let paint dry.
3. Choose large flower design from fabric measuring 5"x6". Follow manufacturer's instructions to apply fusible webbing to wrong side of floral design. Cut out design using scissors.
4. Place flower design, with fusible side down, on stenciled canvas. Refer to photo for approximate placement. Fuse in place using iron.
5. Machine-sew around edges of flower design.
6. Fold down 1/2" from top of each 9-1/2" piece of canvas fabric. Press with iron.
7. Pin pressed wrong side of fabric next to zipper. (Note: The folded edge of fabric should butt against zipper.) Using zipper foot (or regular foot) machine-sew 1/8" from pressed edge of fabric, attaching zipper to fabric.
8. With right sides facing, and using 1/4" seam allowance, machine-sew around three sides (two sides and bottom) of bag.
9. To create bottom of bag, match seam allowance of side and bottom seams. Measure down 1" from point and machine-sew across. Turn bag right side out.
1. Make a matching tote bag, lunch sack, or art supplies pouch in coordinating fabrics and prints.