Pattern - Crazy Quilt Garden Pillow
Pattern - Designer Stitches
- 1. Read "Notes" before beginning project. Use one strand of perle cotton or three strands of floss for all embroidery. Wrap floss or perle cotton over needle three times for French knot. Instructions are provided for piecing pillow top, using machine stitching. An optional method is to baste black section to center of 15" muslin square. Turn edge of textured fabrics over 1/4" to wrong side and hand sew turned edge around sides of black shape, trimming fabrics even with black shape and muslin square after stitching.
- 1. Cut 15" square from muslin. Print and cut out patterns. Cut center section from black velveteen, adding 1/4" to each of sides, using pattern or cutting your own five-sided shape with straight sides. Baste black shape to center of muslin square close to edges with right side facing away from muslin.
- 2. Place one of the textured fabrics uncut and right side down over black piece, aligning straight edge of textured fabric with side 1 of black shape indicated on pattern. (Note: Make sure textured fabric is larger than muslin square when folded over to right side after stitching.) Machine stitch 1/4" from straight edges. Open fabric to right side and trim edge of textured fabric even with muslin square. Cut textured shape, following sides 2 and 5 of black shape indicated on pattern. Side 1 on pillow is now complete.
- 3. Repeat Step 2, sewing different textured fabric to side 2 on pillow pattern. Continue sewing different textured fabrics to sides 3, 4, and 5 of pillow pattern in that order. Sew basting stitch 1/4" from muslin square to prevent fabrics from fraying while embroidering.
- 4. Adhere Lite Steam-A-Seam to backs of specialty fabrics and cut out the following shapes: beehive from yellow; beehive opening from black; flower from fuchsia; bird from grey; wing from turquoise; heart on wing from bright blue; leaf from green; bee wings from white. Adhere shapes to pillow top, following pattern.
- 5. Backstitch silver seed beads around edges of yo-yos. Sew white seed beads to fill in center of yo-yo flowers.
- 6. Use black perle cotton to sew running stitches around shapes and details, 1/8" from edges. Use white floss to sew running stitch around beehive opening.
- 7. For bee, use black perle cotton to: sew through bone bead and over side of bead for stripes; make French knots at top of antennae; sew running stitch along loopy line between bee and hive.
- 8. Use black perle cotton to sew 3/8" button to bird for eye and 1-1/2" button to center of black shape for sun. Use yellow floss to embroider two rows of single feather stitches around edge of sun button.
- 9. Embroider assorted stitches, using different floss colors along edges of black shape and between textured shapes, adding as many details as desired. (Note: Some embroidery stitches used on sample project include: Feather Stitch, Single Feather Stitch, Lazy Daisy Stitch, Blanket Stitch, French Knot, Chain Stitch, Cross-stitch, Sheaf Filling Stitch, Straight Stitch.)
- 10. Sew piping 1/2" from front edge of pillow top, beginning and ending in bottom corner, clipping piping seam as you work around. Cut 15" square from backing fabric. Sew pillow back to top, with right sides together, leaving 13" open at bottom for turning. Trim corners. Turn pillow right side out. Insert pillow form. Hand sew opening closed.