Pattern - Let it Snow Wall Hanging
- Prepare Fabric
- 1. Using your rotary cutter, ruler, and mat, cut two 15"x19" pieces of fabric (one will be the backing) and one 3"x14" piece of fabric for rod pocket. Wrap one piece of fabric around PVC pipe (15" edge goes around pipe). Secure with tape. See Photo 1.
- 2. Tie twine or mason line around one end of pipe then wrap cord tightly around pipe, spacing wraps about 1/2" apart. Wrap about 8". See Photo 2.
- 3. Push wrapped fabric down to end of pipe, compressing fabric and cord. (Note: When dye is applied, cord will act as a resist.) See Photo 3. Continue wrapping and compressing all fabric. Secure end of cord with tape. See Photo 4.
- 4. Run wrapped fabric under warm water for several minutes. (Note: This will help fabric absorb dye.)
- Dye Fabric
- 1. Cover work surface with plastic table cover. Wearing rubber gloves, measure one tablespoon Aquamarine dye into plastic container. Add one cup very hot water (at least 140˚); stir well. Using foam brush, apply dye mixture over entire surface of fabric, being sure fabric is well saturated. Dye-paint dowel rod with same dye mixture. (Note: Wood absorbs dye, yet allows wood grain to show through.)
- 2. Repeat Step 1 using Lemon Yellow dye. With foam brush, dye-paint vertical areas with dye mixture. (Note: Notice that Lemon Yellow on Aquamarine will create lemon-lime color.) See Photo 5.
- 3. Repeat Step 2 using Evening Blue dye. Dye-paint different areas with dye mixture. Allow fabric to sit for 4-6 minutes. See Photo 6.
- 4. Rinse dyed fabric in cold water. Remove twine. Continue rinsing fabric until water runs clear. Launder with mild detergent; rinse, dry flat, press.
- 1. Layer fabrics and quilt batting as follows: back, front, (with right sides together), then quilt batting on top. With rotary cutter and ruler, re-trim edges if necessary. Pin together.
- 2. Trim off corners of batting to reduce bulk. See Figure 1.
- 3. Use sewing machine to sew around outer edges using 1/4" seam allowance and leaving 4" space for turning. Turn right side out. Press.
- 4. With needle and thread, sew 4" opening closed. Use sewing machine to finish short ends of rod pocket with 1/4" turned hem. With right sides together, stitch long edges of rod pocket together using 1/4" seam allowance. Turn right side out. Press. Hand sew rod pocket to back of wall hanging at upper edge, being sure rod pocket doesn't show from front.
- 1. Print out patterns. Print each pattern directly onto paper side of iron-on transfer webbing. Set printer according to manufacturer's suggested settings.
- 2. Iron printed transfer web to wrong side of glitter felt following manufacturer's instructions. Cut out felt letters and reindeer, being careful to cut outside pattern line. Arrange letters and reindeer as shown; iron onto hanging following manufacturer's instructions.
- 3. Press foam adhesive-backed snowflakes onto hanging. Hand sew four pearl beads onto center of snowflakes.
- 4. Insert dowel rod through rod pocket. Tie ribbon around dowel ends to hang.